harpcolumn

Hip pain when playing harp???

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Hip pain when playing harp???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi all,

My 17 year old daughter has just started playing a pedal harp and is experiencing hip pain when playing. We are exploring posture and seating options, but wonder if anyone has any ‘ergonomic’ tips or warm-up/stretching advice?

(P.S. This hip pain may not be due to posture as Cassidy has a pre-existing hip condition, which may just take time to adjust to this new activity!)

Thanks.

unknown-user
    Participant

Occasionally. Strengthening the thigh muscles may help, as well as adjusting bench height, angle, position, etc. Also, look at what kind of shoes she is wearing and how high the heel.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have been a chiropractor for 19 years & harpist for 5 years and your daughters hip pain issue peaked my interest.

I had hip pain for awhile, and my problem was mainly that I was on a swivel chair which was not stable enough. Once I switched to a fixed chair, the hip pain went away. I agree on the stretches and the advice given by the chiropractor. Also, I’ll second the suggestion to check the height of the chair.

Briggs

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

It’s a good idea to ask her teacher to evaluate her posture when playing (with the pain problem in mind).

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Anthony,

You are right about her thigh muscles -they have always been weak.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.