unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Enduring the waiting #161625
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I hope you’re not too old to study music and make something out of it, because I’m guessing I’m about 3 times older than you are, and I just resumed serious study in September. And believe me I AM TRULY SERIOUS.

    When I graduated from college, I had the choice of working as a public school music teacher or getting a free MA in a completely different field. I chose the advanced degree.

    I planned to return to music when I retired from teaching in the second field, and that is what I’m doing. Although I have no finger technique to speak of, I never did, even when I was young, and composition, my most focused interest, is actually easier than it was when I was doing it years ago.

    You have the dream of playing the harp. You are not too old until you are dead.

    in reply to: lap harps and Heartland Harps question #68724
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I appreciate everyone’s input – let me explain some of my reasons, since I was kind of tired last night!

    * I have a loving but very destructive cat.

    in reply to: Enduring the waiting #161623
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My mother found out about my exam registration and we had a big fight over it. She says it’s a waste of money because
    I’m way too old to be studying music and make anything out of it.

    Hello, if she paid for the piano lessons I begged for as a
    child, I wouldn’t need to go through this now at my humiliating age(I would probably be one of the oldest in the exam room) because I would already
    have the basic diplomas.Plus, it’s my own money…

    Just needed to get this off my chest.

    in reply to: Enduring the waiting #161622
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m entering myself in ABRSM Grade 5 Theory Exam in 2009.I have Grade 5 Practical (not in harp obviously) but got stuck there because I never took my theory(You need Grade 5 Theory to take Grade 6 onwards).I never could scrape together enough money for theory lessons. This will give me motivation to study theory plus I need to pass this sooner or later anyway.

    I can’t afford a teacher so I’m gonna teach myself with some old textbooks a kind soul gave me. Wish me luck!

    in reply to: Angry Neighbours #162254
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry Guys, but I have to disagree with you.

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162335
    unknown-user
    Participant

    We don’t have animals like cats and dogs, but me and my boyfriend have noticied that the neighbourhood dogs in the park, bark and howl when I pratice… which is hilarious when it happen 😉

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162135
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Mike,

    Neat idea, very creative. I like the idea of adding functionality (more sound) to the stand.

    in reply to: Therapy Harp #110495
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi, for those harpists who are certified harp therapy practitioners but not music therapists, may I know if you encounter any resistance from the music therapists you meet?

    Music therapy itself is very new in my location and the local music therapists are very sensitive about any perceived encroachment on their territory especially with the use of the word “therapy”. I’m not sure just explaining the difference between harp therapy and music therapy will work.

    in reply to: Favorite Christmas Harp Music #161585
    unknown-user
    Participant

    All the Alfred Burt carols are lovely for the harp. I love Dahron Rees-Rohrback (sp?) books of Christmas music, although I can’t do them justice yet.

    in reply to: Therapy Harp #110493
    unknown-user
    Participant
    in reply to: Camac Troubadour lever harp #69670
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you for information. And what can you say about County Kerry sound and weight?

    in reply to: Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez. #86438
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Holywell music in London should be able to get hold of it for you, and i think that they’re your best bet. If not, try Morley Harps at http://www.morleyharps.co.uk

    in reply to: Auditioning: What’s YOUR strategy? #166696
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I try to play to musical people beforehand, and make my parents or friends try to make me laugh or get nervous so that i’m used to being put off. Also I’ve found that you have to try and be memorable, I always smile as I go into the audition room and shake the people’s hands before the performance; it also gives you time to control your nerves. Also, i eat about 3 Bananas to stop me shaking and massage the webb-y bits in between my fingers which does the same thing as warming up.

    in reply to: ? for the young from the not so young #166709
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m almost 17 and I’m Doing 5 A levels, which doesnt leave that much time to practice, but I always try to practice Harp for 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day, viola 1 hour and violin 1 hour 5 days a week, and more on the weekends…Fitting in a social life on top of that can prove difficult, but I have just about managed to find time for that too, lol.

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162334
    unknown-user
    Participant

    So glad to hear about other music loving pets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 5,570 total)