harpcolumn

Secondary resonator for the harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Secondary resonator for the harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hello to all,
    I had the idea that, for, say, a small harp, or for a harp with anemic sound, you could build an additional “secondary” acoustic resonator that would enhance the sound.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Neat idea, very creative. I like the idea of adding functionality (more sound) to the stand.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Mike,

sorry to say that is allready existing since long. Not only for harp.
    To use a wooden stand for the harp is very common here in Germany.

The wood thickness I use is 3 mm airplain ply.
    A different but very good effect is to use spruce but with a greater thikness.

You can also calculate the box to a specific frequency.

There is a lot of try and error. But at the end it is a great effect and a boost in the lower ton range.

Regards

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Mike,

I prommise I will the next time FIRST look the video and after I write.
    Again this time I was

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Karin, Bernhard,
    Thank you for your comments.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Bernhard- Many many years ago I believe Lyon & Healy sold a box-more like a platform- that the harp and harpist would be placed on for concerts to increase the volume of the harp. I’ll ask Sam Milligan about that. He’ll know the details.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Yes Carl, I have a copy of an old Lyon Healy catalog that has a wooden platform for the harp. My second harp teacher Jill Roberts-Levey has one that her father built. It’s really great as we used it in her carpeted living room. When we took it away the sound was much smaller.

My livingroom is carpeted. I have the concert grand on a piece of hard plastic, but my smaller Webster harp — which I thought had a pretty big voice and was told such when I played it outside at a local Renaissance faire — recently surprised me. I ordered a harp table for it to bring it to a more reasonable height. I got the table last weekend. It is walnut with leather on the top. When I put the Webster on it, the sound and brightness doubled. It just blows me away how much better it sounds on the harp table.

Briggsie

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Carl, Sid,

After some searching on the internet, I found exactly one picture of a harp-stand/platform.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

You’ve inspired me Michael, while I don’t plan on building a platform myself, there is a contractor that

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Sid,

I was thinking about the acoustical properties of a platform like this.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I think I understand your question but remember that the addition of hinges can cause a buzz that harpist so dislike. Personally I’d rather have a solid platform and less worry that it may collaspe.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Mike,

to fold the platform is not a good speculation. So more big the surface is the better is the projection. See it like the soundboard of the harps….the extended soundboard for example.
    Also the wave length of a frequency can be longer…that means a better projection of the lower frequency.
    If the feet of the harp has some rubber than this will absorb very much. The contact with the platform should be as direct as possible.

Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.