harpcolumn

Angry Neighbours

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Angry Neighbours

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    missy lannon
    Participant

laura, i’d say if your landlord supports you, then he should say so to the complaining neighbor(s).

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I don’t have much to add (other than that, if your landlord supports you, your neighbor…who is, in all likelihood, the ONLY one who is annoyed).

kay-lister

Hey Laura – How’s the neighbor thing going?

Kay

unknown-user
    Participant

Sorry Guys, but I have to disagree with you.

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

I also agree that perhaps the neighbour is not completely out of line. The harp is our choice not everyone’s and I can understand anyone who might find it annoying. I find the sound of small children particularly annoying but that doesn’t mean that people shouldn’t have them, or that I am a particularly abhorrent human being.

Some people like peace and quiet and are quite sensitive to any noise. But repetitive music can really grate. I’m not saying you shouldn’t practice just be aware that not everyone on the planet will enjoy your lifestyle choice. Strange but true. Yes you are entitled to practice just keep it within the allowances of the block. Living in an old house is never easy for any of the tenants.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Let’s get real here for a second.

tony-morosco
    Participant

“Have you ever had to sleep in the afternoon so that you can go to your job at night?”

Yes. I used to work midnight to 8am and accepted that I was living on a schedule opposite of most people and that I couldn’t expect the rest of the world to change to accommodate me.

Did it wake me when my neighbor vacuumed at noon while I was trying to sleep? Sure. But I certainly didn’t expect her to vacuum at midnight when I went to work but everyone else was trying to sleep.

90% of the world sleeps at night and works or are at least awake during the day. When you live the opposite then you have to accept that when everyone else around you is awake they will be making more noise and you can’t expect people to tip toe around just because you are in bed during the day.

“trust me, if you like rap, you Will Not like classical or folk harp music.”

That is very prejudicial. Certainly no matter what kind of music there is someone who doesn’t like it. But the idea that someone who likes rap automatically doesn’t like classical is just wrong. My nephew likes rap and he PLAYS classical in his school band and loves it. I grew up listening to Heavy Metal AND Classical and have always enjoyed them both.

Liking one type of music does not automatically mean not liking another type. People are individuals and many people are very eclectic taste in music.

But that is besides the point. I don’t have a right to tell my neighbor they can’t play music during the day just because I don’t like the kind of music they do. If they are not violating the noise ordinance than they have every right to listen to what they want.

I do think that people should try to accommodate each other when possible. If a neighbor particularly needed quiet at some time during the day and asked politely if I would not play during that period I would do that if it were possible

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies