harpcolumn

? for the young from the not so young

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists ? for the young from the not so young

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I’m just curious as to what your busy schedules (as young harpests) allow as far as your practice time.

unknown-user
    Participant

Where there’s a will there’s a way…

unknown-user
    Participant

I

unknown-user
    Participant

My daughter is 10 1/2, and has been playing for 2 1/2 years. She is home schooled, so she has time for harp, academics, basketball and other interests. She practices 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day 6 days a week. She plays for pleasure in between her practice sessions and looks forward to every opportunity to play for others. It remains to be seen how far she will go in harp studies, but her dad and I are committed to helping her go as far as she’d like.

unknown-user
    Participant

I

tess
    Participant

I am a 17-year-old high school senior, and I only wish I could get more practice!

Fairy Reel
    Participant

(Well, even though this post is a year old, might as well put my two cents in since someone resurrected it…)

I certainly do have a busy schedule. I’m homeschooled, which helps, but I hope to be attending an arts school next year (so extra harp time to work for my audition). In addition to my harping, I have Irish Dancing (three hours a week plus practice) piano (principle musician for two churches plus gigs plus practice), schoolwork, horses (I ride and train), 4-H (the best thing since harps and horses), as well as competitions. In spare time (haha) I’m also trying to teach myself guitar, run my website (Keeping Fairy Reeling at http://www.geocities.com/acthappy–not

I’m a senior citizen who teaches harp, and I’m reading the posts of these young harpists. It’s fine that they are passionate about playing harp, and getting enough practice time, but I’d like to make

Janna B.
    Participant

Ah Fairy Reel, I wondered if you did Irish dancing!

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Ms. Patricia,

I appreciate your bringing up ‘fall back’ plans. I love to sew, mostly by hand. I embroider and quilt. I love to cook, and usually cook a few times a month for my family. Music isn’t my only interest, and I try hard to cultivate my other interests and skills. I understand music is a difficult business and so I take especial care to ensure that I am well prepared for life in general.

(And Janna–so glad to meet another dancing harpist! Ceili is the best…my favorite is the Sweets of May!)

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m almost 17 and I’m Doing 5 A levels, which doesnt leave that much time to practice, but I always try to practice Harp for 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day, viola 1 hour and violin 1 hour 5 days a week, and more on the weekends…Fitting in a social life on top of that can prove difficult, but I have just about managed to find time for that too, lol.

unknown-user
    Participant

Right now I’m a 15 year old high school softmore. I go to boarding school in the Boston area. I wish I could get more practicing in but unfortunately I can’t. School is from 8-3 Tech Crew from 3:30-5 required dinner 6-6:30 and required study hall 7:30 to 9:30. The practice rooms close before dinner so

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies