unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Aria in Classic Style #151509
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Indeed a lovely piece – I have seen Susann McDonald and Linda Wood do a two harp version with Diane Bish on her TV series – Sylvia Kowalczuk does the string version on “Masterpieces for Harp and Orchestra” –

    in reply to: Aria in Classic Style #151508
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am wondering, is it true that there is a version for harp and string ensemble? If so, does anyone know where this score is available online? I think the version on harp.com is for harp and organ.

    Thank you.

    in reply to: Post-1975 pieces #166573
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You can look into pieces by Bernard Andrès, Heinz Holliger, Toshio Hosokawa and

    in reply to: Price of Horngacher Harp #74574
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Does anyone know if we can use any type of strings (Bow brand etc.) on the Horngacher harps or only the ones on the website (Pirastro)?

    in reply to: Price of Horngacher Harp #74573
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you Rod and Julia.

    Julia, how is the sound of the Horngacher like? Is it big? Which model do you play on?

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling’s harp? #75672
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I traveled from Philadelphia to New York about once a month for lessons with Mildred Dilling in her New York apartment during the 1970’s.

    in reply to: Mildred Dilling’s harp? #75670
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, to have a nephew, Mildred Dilling would need a married sibling with a male child.

    in reply to: You know you’re a harp addict… #109058
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I constantly play the air harp. My partner recently commented to me, “I know you do that because of the harp, but other people on the street are going to think you are just schizophrenic.”

    in reply to: Harp Recordings #151519
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I don’t normally expect to be impressed by sound quality when I surf youtube for harps – however, apropos this discussion, last night I ran across a video which is listed as Grandjany – Fantasy on a theme of Haydn – there is no video, and the notes are a bit vague as to who the harpist is or when it was recorded

    in reply to: Piano and Harp duo #147253
    unknown-user
    Participant

    My harpist friend and I adapted a Jill Justice arrangement for Lever and Pedal Harp Duet of As The Deer (1984 Maranatha Praise, Inc). We also played a Daniel Burton arrangement of Amazing Grace for harp and piano (2001 Jubal Press)

    in reply to: Scales and arpeggios #82543
    unknown-user
    Participant

    As far as I can see, these responses boil down to two grounds for scales: finger dexerity and authority (the French do them, the Russians do them, Salzedo did them, everybody says to do them). The trouble with the latter argument

    in reply to: Scales and arpeggios #82538
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you for the response, but my question was narrower in scope than your answer. I’m not asking about the value of technical work or etudes, but specifically, scales and arpeggios. The reason the question about scales arises is that scales are a good deal easier on harp than they are on some instruments. Since, with the exception of melodic minors (where the fast pedal change needed is needed at the top of the scale), all you do is set the pedals, start on the right string and play the right number of octaves, you don’t need to do as much jumping around as you do playing a scale on most other instruments, keyboard, wind or string. That’s why the question arises. I’m not opposed to scales per se, but I can’t specify what they would do for a harp student other than contribute to general finger agility, and there are other ways to get at that.

    I also wouldn’t contest that the Russians and French produce great harpists. But the French are not producing great musicians in general, despite their wonderful system of musical education. At the moment, there are few French soloists on any instrument other than harp who rank in the very top (the Labeque sisters, perhaps, and Natalie Dessay, although vocalists are a bit different). Nor is there any French orchestra that figures in lists of the best (I know those lists are highly subjective, but they give a rough guide and it seems significant that no French orchestra seems to get cited by anyone as one of the world leaders). I not knocking the French system, but if the way they teach is the best, it seems odd they aren’t producing more world-class violinists, pianists or orchestras. There may be reasons other than the system itself that accounts for their production of good harpists (e.g., the esteem in which the instrument is held in France).

    in reply to: Traveling with Harp on US Airways or American Airlines #75703
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry. Airline change. Now appears that I would be traveling by Delta Airlines. Again, all constructive information is greatly appreciated!

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160166
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This is my first post here.

    in reply to: Sporatic students #84324
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Barbara, I had one woman, a grandmother, who had always wanted to take harp lessons.

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 5,570 total)