harpcolumn

Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say?

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    william-weber
    Participant

The topic would lose interest if Mid-East did not improve their product. I think Mid-East Quality Control has improved, for some sort of market pressure. They replaced a cracking up Caitlin with not simply an equally flimsy Caitlin but a more durable one, that even supports real strings. They replaced a Hailey with a misplaced fret pin with one having all levers in reasonably good tune. If Mid-East keeps improving their quality, then this will be a News thread.

One argument about the Mid-East quality out of the packing box is the fiddling required. People with kit-built harps will be more willing to do the work they did not pay for in the harp’s up-front cost.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Hi Song,

Its not your fault that this topic has generated such heated discussion here, and has taken on a life of its own.

In deference to the highly esteemed Mr. Grandjany, who was dragged into my limerick merely by dint of the sound of his last name, (and the topic of our discussion), as its author, I now elect to make his student less biased.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The question of quality control with these harps presumes that they are produced in a factory.

william-weber
    Participant

Audrey, I know of a local woman who does assemble Music Makers kits, and adds some features of her own to make them stay together better. (She also rebuilds pianos.) This does give me the idea for a value-added niche market: reselling selected Paki harps after restringing and regulating. Maybe she will help me.

Song Sparrow, this thread will never fade away, because even a peaceful instrument like the harp is fraught with strong opinions. All tools of the performing arts are ego-charged. There is always that vision of the master luthier smashing his apprentice’s work to bits on the table, saying, “It will never bear my name — save your anger for your work, boy!”

I ordered a sharpsicle through Musicians Friend today.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Oh, excellent!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

So now we all want to know…what color did you get?

I think you’ll be pleased with the little guy.

I was hoping for an orange one because I thought it was funny but someone had already bought it.

My little harpsicle is here!

Since I’ve tuned it a few times today the tone has gotten sweeter.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

As it

unknown-user
    Participant

This is my first post here.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Sounds like you have fun fiddling about with instruments that a novice player would find, shall we say, problematic.

More power to you!

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.