harpcolumn

Flute and harp repertoire ideas.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Flute and harp repertoire ideas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

My flutist and I really like the first selection from Josef Molnar’s “Fantasy on Japanese Folk Songs.” It is light in nature, not too difficult, and a crowd pleaser with a big ending. It also helps ad a muti-cultural element to a concert. Good luck!

unknown-user
    Participant

My flutist and I will be giving a concert in the late winter.

patrice-fisher
    Participant

I have had a good response to the “Intermezzo” from Carmen.It even has a second flute part, if you want to add a guest. I sometimes play flute duets with my flutist, after spending a few moments to harmonize the second flute part with a chord accompaniement. This can rescue you from the boredom of always playing a chordal accompaniement part to the flute’s beautiful melodic parts. Patrice Fisher

unknown-user
    Participant

There is a marvelous modern flute and harp work by Charles Rochester Young, entitled “Song of the Lark.” It was written in 1989, I believe, and is based on a painting by the same title. There are three movements (slow, fast, slow), each around three minutes long. The first and last movements are very tonal and simply gorgeous. The middle movement (“Flight”) is fast and energetic, and calls for paper to be threaded through some of the strings on the harp for a “snappy” sound. It’s a great piece and a real crowd-pleaser. (The sheet music is available through fluteworld.com)

unknown-user
    Participant

Have you tried the arrangement of “Naderman’s Seven Sonatines” by Paul Hurst for harp and flute duet?
    The harp plays the Sonatines exactly how they were written by Naderman, Paul Hurst just made a flute part over all seven Sonatines.
    It sounds gorgeous
    Give it a try!

Angelica

unknown-user
    Participant

After 12 years in a flute and harp duo, I know that most pieces are “ditties” — too short and too stupid to program.

unknown-user
    Participant

“Serenade No. 10” by Vincent Persichetti – lovely, lively, and count very carefully on the Vivo!

unknown-user
    Participant

Two of my favorites are “Suite for Harp and Flute” by George McKay and “Narthex” by Bernard Andres. Both have been well received in performance.

Lynne Abbey-Lee

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Denise,

I have found the Bach g minor sonata for flute and keyboard to be very popular, also the E-flat sonata (which includes the well-known Siciliano). . .this works for oboe and harp, too.

unknown-user
    Participant

My flutist and I have played the Young “Song of the Lark” on every recital for the past four years.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve found some wonderful pieces. “Drei Tonstucke” by Willy Hess is wonderfully melodic and well written. “Arioso”-Bach/Owens is a gorgeous harp part with a great bass line, along with “Suite in D Major”-Hotteterre/Owens. Also nicely written for harp. Alot of movements, suitable for prelude music for a wedding ceremony.
    Mona Peck

unknown-user
    Participant

There is a famous piece that always goes down well with the audience.

Anton Sie
    Participant

A very beautiful piece is “Intermezzo” from H. Andriessen. It’s a very poetic piece and it’s written very well for both instruments.
    You could also try some sonatas from Spohr for violin and harp. Sometimes, the flute has to play an octave higher, but that’s quite rare. Op.113 and the sonata in c minor are very beautiful and suitable. The Op.113 is very difficult for harp, the sonata in c minor is much easier. Especially the first movement of the sonata in c minor is very beautiful. Then there’s the beautiful “Morceau de concours” from Faure, which sounds great on harp. He has also written “Fantaisie”, but the second part of this one is very hard on harp, with many pedals. And of course, you can play Berceuse, Sicilienne and Apres un reve (tr.)
    Chopin’s variations on “non piu mesta” from “La cenerentola” (Rossini) is very easy for harp and virtuoso for the flutist.
    Well, this response is very late, but maybe other harpists can use it.

One of my favourites is Faur?’s Berceuse. It is somewhat pedally, but worth
    the effort. The “Hamburger” Sonata by C.P.E. Bach works very well, with a few
    adaptations, for the harp even though it is written for a keyboard instrument.
    There is a lovely Sonata for flute and harp by Krumpholz, with 3 movements.
    A lot of songs and arias can be adapted. I have a great version of Faur?’s
    Pavane, too, from a guitar and flute transcription.

unknown-user
    Participant

Just a question: what is the difficulty of “Song of the Lark”? My flutist and I are looking for something at the level of Debussy’s trio. Is it comparable?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.