unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,756 through 4,770 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68832
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Speaking of Harp festivals, where on earth can I find one!!!

    in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68833
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Pavel

    Here’s a link with a listing of harp events.

    http://www.celticharper.com/events1.html

    On why we picked the Timothy?

    in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68831
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I recently ordered a Llyr harp for my daughter (expect delivery end of Oct) after trying one out at the Somerset Festival in July.

    in reply to: Harp lessons in Boston area #89395
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi, Rimma –

    It has been quiet a while since you posted your ad on this discussion group and maybe my question will not make sense. However, I will ask… are you still interested in taking harp lessons? I live in Boston and might be able to help.

    Thank you.

    in reply to: Bad teacher? #89223
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Rebecca,

    Hand position is important.

    in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68830
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Pavel,

    I don’t have any experience with cocobolo. I don’t work in any of the toxic woods (bad for my lungs). It is a very dense and heavy wood that is gorgeous in it’s grain and color so it should give a harp that has a darker and mellower sound. Some other soundboard woods to consider are; redwood, poplar, basswood and mahogany. While they are non-traditional woods they all give good response and each has it’s own set of plusses and minuses. I hope this didn’t further complicate your choice. Much of the info on soundboards is from my readings. The only ones that I have personal experience with are Sitka spruce, western cedar and poplar. The others I have never used in a harp.

    in reply to: Glinka and three against two…Help! #167889
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I like the “run tommy run thing.”

    in reply to: Glinka and three against two…Help! #167890
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Alexander! When I first was learning 2 againist 3 I hated it- but now I don’t even
    blink when I see it! I had alot of help from my dad who was a music theory major and
    learned it with my brother who had to learn it for a Bach Concerto on the piano. Try
    playing it as scales such as c-d-e in the left hand as

    in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68826
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Be very cautious with an instrument made of cocobolo. It is a wood that can cause an alergic reaction much like poison ivy. It is in a class called sensitizers and with repeated contact you can break out in an itchy rash.

    Curt

    in reply to: What type of harp should I buy??? (Down to three choices) #68827
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Ok, that brings up another topic; What type of woods are recommended???

    For soundboard, I am sticking to Cedar or Sruce (Enleman or European, not Sitka).

    If anyone has comments or experiance with the following woods, please post your opinion.

    in reply to: Which type of wood is best? #167626
    unknown-user
    Participant

    To Ms. Humphries!

    Maybe she needs to be knocked over the head with a piece of mahogany to know it is classified as a HARDWOOD!

    in reply to: Glinka and three against two…Help! #167885
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Three against two sounds like “Run, Tommy run.”

    in reply to: Glinka and three against two…Help! #167886
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, I had the same trouble the louis sphor fantasie! there literally page after page of 2 against 3.

    Ill never forget a sonata by chopin i played on the piano a few years back, there were full pages of 7 against 6! what a nightmare!

    -steven

    in reply to: Which type of wood is best? #167625
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s all really great advice. Just beware of Mahogany. It is such a beautiful wood, but it is VERY soft. Spruce is terrific for the soundboard for millions of reasons.
    I say use Hard Maple for the body, and maybe a little Walnut here and there. These woods are durable, look great, and always give a pleasant sound.
    Good luck.

    in reply to: Looking for Harp T-shirts!!~~ #167930
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Laura,
    If you are looking for over 60 beautiful and original designs featuring the harp,
    please visit http://www.CraftyHarp.com. No other site offers the selection that we
    have. Our store is one-of-a-kind with hundreds of harp gifts and crafts. If you
    are looking for designs with rich colors AND free personalization-Take a look
    at our designs in the Gallery and I guarantee you will find many designs that
    you like!!
    Thank you,
    Wendy LeBlanc
    Owner/Artist/Harpist
    CraftyHarp.com

Viewing 15 posts - 4,756 through 4,770 (of 5,570 total)