unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,321 through 4,335 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Private lessons not .com #89196
    unknown-user
    Participant

    They did finally remove my content, so all is well. I hope they do work out for someone else to use.

    in reply to: sharpsicle query #68807
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Frankly, I haven’t been that impressed with them. To my ear they sound like rubber bands

    on a cigar box. If you’re looking for an inexpensive instrument, check out the harps made

    by George Leverett (http://www.aroundthehearth.com/harpmaker/harps.html). I’ve played

    a couple of them and was favorably impressed. The site has a sound sample so you can

    hear what they sound like.

    in reply to: Harp teachers & rentals near Wayne, PA? #163200
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a website sauldavis.com, and am nearby in Center City, just minutes from 30th Street or Suburban Stations, and ample parking. A great teacher is worth a bit of travel. To rent a harp, I can only suggest Virginia Harp Center in Haddonfield, NJ. That is the closest harp store. Nothing is convenient about the harp, ever, which is what makes it so worthwhile, actually.

    in reply to: Which type of wood is best? #167631
    unknown-user
    Participant

    regarding the hardwood situation, the term hard and softwood does not always refer to the actual density.

    in reply to: sharpsicle query #68806
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you all very much for your help with my sharpsicle query. I have heard mostly good things about them from the internet and I think it will suit my purposes as it is lightweight and easy to transport and also has a good range for a second harp.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157819
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Like all of you I have tried everything.

    in reply to: sharpsicle query #68804
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have found with the harpsicles and sharpsicles that there is a big difference in sound depending on who is playing it.

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Haley, the best way I have landed gigs is just to start out with something simple.

    in reply to: Lever Harp and Accidentals–GGRRR! #167639
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Paul is exactly right.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157818
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The following link may help, if you haven’t already seen it. Before checking it out, I was not aware that using neomycin (as opposed to polysporin) to help heal cracked fingertips might actually aggravate the problem (I had been using a neomycin-based ointment twice a day). It also says that using Super Glue could possibly trigger contact dermatitis, though apparently many folks swear by it, including some MDs (as per a previous harpcolumn post I just saw). Here’s the link: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/skindoctor/handcare.html

    in reply to: Good Teachers #89184
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Another student response.

    in reply to: Good Teachers #89185
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Good point, Sarah, about the teacher going to your house.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157817
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A few years ago I obtained a product called Split Finger Treatment Cream, it was made or marketed by Cadie Products Corp. stock #2232c.
    It was very effective in soothing and healing split fingers but I have not been able to obtain it for some time now, has anybody heard of this or tried it? And does anyone know of a supplier?

    in reply to: sharpsicle query #68803
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I couldn’t disagree more with Zen.

    in reply to: Good Teachers #89183
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s not nearly enough time to prepare a real performance. It may be enough to get through the notes, but then a good teacher will polish the phrasing, dynamics, all the musical values, by which he or she will be teaching the student how to perform, become an artist, how to value their work. The music they assign should be of good quality and include some well-known composers. The learning rate of students is individual, and depends on how much they have to deal with internally and at home, as well as their intellectual and coordination development.

    The teacher should have a fairly systematic approach to the harp that makes it clearer, not more mysterious. If technique continues to be a struggle after two years, they may not be the right teacher for you. How much time do they spend chatting in the lesson, or talking about how other students are doing? If it takes fifteen minutes to get to work, that’s not good. Are you playing only from handouts or photocopies the teacher provides? Not good. Does the teacher make excuses like, “that’s not really important, dear.” Or “you don’t have to work that hard.” Does the teacher help you to improve your tone quality? Does it sound better when the teacher plays? It should. Do they seem relaxed when they play? Does the teacher ever play or demonstrate for you? They should. But not to show off, to inspire. Do you feel you have found the best you deserve, or just who was available? Will you risk going to a top-notch teacher, even if you feel unworthy? Great teachers will take beginnners. Do you feel like a cog in the wheel of a busy studio? Not so good. Better a teacher with just a few students who has more time and attention if they’re good.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,321 through 4,335 (of 5,570 total)