unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: choir and harp #85828
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well hi there harpists!

    Just happened to see my name mentioned here and thanks for the nice recommendation of my piece El Noi de la mare! Its been pretty popular in its 18 months or so of being in print. By the way, I am a former harpist, thus my interest in writing some pieces that call for harp (though the publishers usually try to get me to make the part also playable on piano and you all know here that harp and piano really arent the same!). Anyway, please visit my website at http://www.paulcarey.net

    I do have some other harp and treble voices pieces- A Cradle Song (Xmas piece) very pretty, published by Oxford (SA and harp- recording on my website). And Winter Solstice- for SSA and harp to texts by modern New Mexico poets. Wonderful imagery about winter/solstice, rebirth, nature, etc. This piece is still in manuscript and I can give folks perusal scores if interested (about 9 minutes, medium diiffculty for voices- not hard at all for harp).

    Thanks harp folks!

    Paul Carey, Oak Park, IL

    in reply to: 2008 NEW YEAR’S HARP RESOLUTIONS #111720
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s a good one! and similar to mine…I need to remember to take breaks every 20 minutes, and not to get so absorbed that I’m there for 3 hours without a break….(injury management!) And I also need to

    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi – first question that comes to mind – are you solo accomp, or is someone on another instrument such as guitar or piano doubling your bass line – if so, and in the interest of presenting a professional quality performance, I would suggest playing

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111780
    unknown-user
    Participant

    …Yess… I think we need to start a club…the Pre loved harpist club..ooops, pre loved harps club! My 17 was used at a couple of competitions, I think

    in reply to: Tournier’s Theme and Variations #83166
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A quick search of the net fails to find any recording sample.

    in reply to: My ‘Wagner’ harp #68739
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That reminds me, I used to rent a 22, number 299, from Frances Miller when I was

    in reply to: Ems harps #161329
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A BIG thank in all of you. You help me very much. I have already read, listen, “click” a lot and so I decide to follow your recommendations. I will order a full lever ravenna 26

    in reply to: First Harp and First Gig! #111819
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, guys!

    Here’s the list:

    1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (an arrangement I made just for the left hand)
    2. Nil Na La (an Irish lullaby from the harp class I took recently)
    3. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (my arrangement – four-note chords in the right hand and three-note arpeggios on the left. I actually really like this one!)
    4. Falling (my own composition)
    5. Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (my arrangement)
    6. Silent Night (learned this one at the harp class)
    7. Greensleeves (learned this one the night before the wedding! Ack!)

    Some of the songs were very simple and a few I struggled with, but since it was mostly my family out there (and people could barely hear me since it was outside and they were eating and talking) I got away with some mistakes–okay, lots. :-) I did a lot better in the second round after the reception. Most of the people knew I had only been playing since September so they probably weren’t expecting too much to begin with–that always helps!

    I still can’t believe I learned Greensleeves overnight. My mom thought I was crazy for trying to do that, and I really can’t argue! ;-) I guess when you really want to do something you just find a way (for me it was lack of sleep). It was a pretty simple version in the little booklet that came with the Harpsicle so that’s probably the only reason I was able to learn it right away. People seemed to enjoy that one, though, so I’m glad I went through the trouble. When I was playing after the reception and only a few people were left I noticed people got really quiet when I started playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star since I guess it sounded really different. It’s so much fun to make boring songs special. :-)

    Well, I think that’s about it for my first “gig.” It wasn’t so much of a gig as it was a trial, but I really enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ll ever expand to doing more than playing for friends and family, nursing homes, etc. but that sounds great to me!

    Have a great day/year!

    Becky

    in reply to: First Harp and First Gig! #111818
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Congratulations on your new harp, Becky.

    What songs did you play?

    in reply to: Universities and conseratories with the best harp programs #166945
    unknown-user
    Participant

    P.S., I don’t teach Solzedo technique, but I do teach Saulzedo!

    in reply to: Universities and conseratories with the best harp programs #166944
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would be curious to know why you don’t want to learn Salzedo technique if you don’t know it. I mean, how do you know you don’t want to know it if you don’t know it? Unfortunately, at the present time, there are very few leading schools offering Salzedo-based instruction, which is not good, to my way of thinking. What is your reason for wanting to study here, what will you gain that you won’t gain by studying in Britain, I am wondering.

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111219
    unknown-user
    Participant

    One of the funniest harp scenes is in the beginning of “The Magic Christian”, where Ringo Starr on alto recorder and Peter Sellers on harp are playing the Mozart flute-and-harp concerto.

    in reply to: GETTING PAID #149991
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carl

    I saw that Amy Walts replied to your query, and it seems, she and I have exactly the same contract! If they book me, 50% to reserve the date, and in my contract’s terms and conditions, I state that if they don’t pay the balance at least the day before, I simply don’t get into the car, and they won’t have a harpist for their wedding.

    in reply to: Just got me a style 17! How about you? #111863
    unknown-user
    Participant

    From your message of last July, it sounds as though you bought your used L&H 17 sight unseen.

    in reply to: LOOKING FOR A HARP RENTAL NEAR LONDON ONTARIO #163708
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am looking to rent a harp until June.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,101 through 2,115 (of 5,570 total)