harpcolumn

First Harp and First Gig!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break First Harp and First Gig!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Well, I’ve had a very exciting week. I now own my very own natural Harpsicle, and the wood grain on it is absolutely gorgeous–so much prettier than in pictures! I was originally planning on decorating the soundboard a little bit but I don’t have the heart to cover up the beautiful wood. She has a lovely voice and is already holding tune well. I’ve named her Buttercup. :-)

Even more exciting is that on Friday I was able to play seven songs for my brother’s wedding! I played during his cocktail hour and then again after the reception when the DJ music had stopped and people were winding down. I’ll never forget the experience!

Congratulations to all the new harpers/harpists out there and those of you who have gotten new Christmas harps. Enjoy!

Have a Harpy New Year! :-)

Becky

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Becky,

This is terrific news!!

Becky,

Congratulations on your new harpsicle. May you enjoy it for many years to come!

Briggsie

unknown-user
    Participant

Congratulations on your new harp, Becky.

What songs did you play?

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks, guys!

Here’s the list:

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (an arrangement I made just for the left hand)
    2. Nil Na La (an Irish lullaby from the harp class I took recently)
    3. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (my arrangement – four-note chords in the right hand and three-note arpeggios on the left. I actually really like this one!)
    4. Falling (my own composition)
    5. Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (my arrangement)
    6. Silent Night (learned this one at the harp class)
    7. Greensleeves (learned this one the night before the wedding! Ack!)

Some of the songs were very simple and a few I struggled with, but since it was mostly my family out there (and people could barely hear me since it was outside and they were eating and talking) I got away with some mistakes–okay, lots. :-) I did a lot better in the second round after the reception. Most of the people knew I had only been playing since September so they probably weren’t expecting too much to begin with–that always helps!

I still can’t believe I learned Greensleeves overnight. My mom thought I was crazy for trying to do that, and I really can’t argue! ;-) I guess when you really want to do something you just find a way (for me it was lack of sleep). It was a pretty simple version in the little booklet that came with the Harpsicle so that’s probably the only reason I was able to learn it right away. People seemed to enjoy that one, though, so I’m glad I went through the trouble. When I was playing after the reception and only a few people were left I noticed people got really quiet when I started playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star since I guess it sounded really different. It’s so much fun to make boring songs special. :-)

Well, I think that’s about it for my first “gig.” It wasn’t so much of a gig as it was a trial, but I really enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ll ever expand to doing more than playing for friends and family, nursing homes, etc. but that sounds great to me!

Have a great day/year!

Becky

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies