harpcolumn

First public performance — and speed problems on lower strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists First public performance — and speed problems on lower strings

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Much to my dismay, I’ve been dragooned into playing in public for the first time around the end of January.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi – first question that comes to mind – are you solo accomp, or is someone on another instrument such as guitar or piano doubling your bass line – if so, and in the interest of presenting a professional quality performance, I would suggest playing

I was supposed to be background accompaniment while another instrument (recorder) carried the melody.

I agree to keep the bass fairly simple.

unknown-user
    Participant

I would suggest practicing at a very slow tempo, and once perfect, up it by 5-8 bpm – playing at the new tempo until it is easy (no buzzing, placement, etc.).

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

A bit of advice my teacher gives me (in addition to the admonition to “practice it SLOWLY Audrey!”) is to play the part that gives you difficulty at least five times for every one time you play the easier parts.

Audrey

Tacye
    Participant

I agree with Jennifer that you should try playing with the left hand low in the strings.

james-mccann
    Participant

Michael:

For those who were wondering, I made it through the performance.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, congratulations – your trial by fire is done and you have survived – the next one will be a piece of cake!!! – – -good job!! 🙂

I certainly hope so, because we just got asked to reprise it on the 7th.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies