unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Lever Extenders #163182
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Michael,

    Well, I’m unsure of lever extenders. However! My first harp was a Mid-east Minstrel harp. (29 strings :-) )

    in reply to: Harp Lever Extenders #163179
    unknown-user
    Participant

    As no one else stepped up to the plate on this one, I shall do so.

    in reply to: Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In? #111393
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Carl, I have really had it with you. How dare you write something I agree with? Or rather, probably will when I go back and read it all the way through. I was also talking about social situations, not just forums, and definitely not only these forums, Diane. YouTube comments would be a great example.

    I am “afraid” that as heartfelt as Kay’s comment is, and having grown up with plenty of criticism, translating that experience into expecting others to somehow work around it is what ultimately leads to an atmosphere of censorship. Not you in particular, necessarily, but the broad idea of accomodating every individual’s hurts, sore spots, allergies, food sensitivities, diet peculiarities, amounts to exerting social control over others that is undesirable to many or most people. It reminds me of the totalitarian aspect of the extreme left-wing politics, where they expect everyone to think and act the same, rather than individually.

    I would therefore turn around your last statement, and kindly say that the need for therapy is in the person feeling wounded or dealing with their past, and

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111465
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s really lousy.

    in reply to: Harp teachers & rentals near Wayne, PA? #163207
    unknown-user
    Participant

    And yes, they are stocking your music, Pat. It’s a very small selection, about 12 books so far as they are very conservative in ordering, and many people go to Virginia Harp Center for music in New Jersey. But they are also stocking my pieces, and do ordering via e-mail, or long-distance phone, and are developing a website.

    in reply to: Harp teachers & rentals near Wayne, PA? #163206
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you, Pat, that would be me. They are my neighborhood store, and I am the primary customer, and the teacher in the area. I have several students from the Main Line, who mostly come in by train, as I am near the station, so they don’t have to pay for parking.

    in reply to: Teaching First Lesson #86848
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I would suggest to have something for her to take home, even just one page, because some people think they didn’t get anything if they don’t come home with something. I show them what the hand position looks like, how it works, in the simplest possible terms. I open and close the hand, then show them how to sit at the harp, and put their hands on in good position, give them an idea how it should feel and sound. Show them where middle c is and the other strings, and give very simple things to play, using ABC of Harp Playing for pedal harp, and Paret for lever harp. Let her ask questions, too.

    in reply to: aoyama pedal harps #159851
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You are so right, and thank you for responding. Yes I have also heard that camacs can be very beautiful and I have also heard people being snotty about them….

    I think that it is the affordability that irks…

    Judgement is such a killer and so destructive.

    Thank you

    Rosalind

    in reply to: aoyama pedal harps #159850
    unknown-user
    Participant

    thank you so much for your kind response. I know that she is beautiful, and makes me melt when I play her… i know that it is horrible and wrong when people express their judgements, but they get inside my head. I really appreciate your words, I’ll stick them inside my head now.

    Actually, as my husband said, when our friend David Watkins, (he is to be honest one of the most beautiful concert harpists I have heard, a real master….) plays my harp it is like liquid magic, so I should stop fussing. Sadly at this point I only pull drops out her, bu with practice and time….

    I hope you keep enjoying your harp!

    Rosalind

    in reply to: Play fast pieces #166621
    unknown-user
    Participant

    There are several aspects to the use of the thumb. It helps to have the top joint slightly flexed as you place it on the string and play, so it is ready to move. It also is affected by where

    in reply to: Pieces to play #166450
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, then, I bet you’ve been given an excellent foundation, as Ms. Curcio was a pupil of my teacher, Miss Lawrence, and several of her students have gone to the Curtis Institute of Music. If you continue to try other teachers, you should give Emily Halpern Lewis a try, too.

    in reply to: Sheet music for theme to The Princess Bride #150197
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello!

    in reply to: Stairway to Heaven #163091
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for the explaination of “Stairway”, Tony!

    in reply to: Play fast pieces #166618
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for such a long reply. I’ve played for 7 years now (im almost 15). I played tournier’s feerie last year. I will be starting lessons in less than a week. I can play the arrpegios fine its just the technical work with the right hand such as in measures 19-22. I was not looking for suggestions such as those you gave, only if you had encountered a problem (maybe in technique) before that was similar to mine. I’ll keep you’re posts in mind though, and for now im just shaping the piece anyway because i want it to be performable at a decent tempo for my new teacher.

    Thanks

    in reply to: Pieces to play #166449
    unknown-user
    Participant

    thanks so much for such a long reply. Im almost 15 years old. I’ve played for almost 7 years now and i live in New England. I studied with Stephanie Curcio for 6 years and i studied with Cynthia Price Glynn for 6 months. I will start lessons with Ina Zdorovetchi in a few weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 5,570 total)