harpcolumn

Harp Lever Extenders

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp Lever Extenders

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with using an extension on your harp lever, basically to make the lever easier to see, grab, and move?

I have a (relatively) inexpensive pakistani Minstrel harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

As no one else stepped up to the plate on this one, I shall do so.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

I would be concerned about the stress put on the fulcrum point by your lever extenders. Those pakistani levers are plated pot metal, and they are not really designed to take a lot of strain. Particularly with the extra quick shoving needed to compensate for the longer throw, you might run an increased risk of snapping off the lever handle.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Michael,

Well, I’m unsure of lever extenders. However! My first harp was a Mid-east Minstrel harp. (29 strings :-) )

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Thank you Barbara and Christopher for your responses.

Barbara, the levers that came with the minstrel harp are a problem, mostly because of their stiffness, and the force it takes to use them.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

Wow Michael, you sure put a lot of work into that!! I don’t know if I would’ve done so….

I had the same harp. My levers weren’t as stiff as yours, but I’ve heard about that. Mine were just… very bad. The tiny metal bar that pinched the string, was crooked. In all of the octaves, every F# sounded different. LOL! I just didn’t want to replace all of the levers.

However, the sounded grew a nice little pot belly on it, and the sound matured after a year. It sounded quite good.

PS: I had sold that harp, and the woman who bought it uses it to play with a group at church! They started a lovely little group and she’s having a blast! The neck did crack on the instrument, but she found a book to fix it, and apparently she did fix it! :-)

Goodluck with your levers and happy harping!

unknown-user
    Participant

Oh and robinsons or loveland levers,(which ones i cant remember..) worked good on it. I also heard of someone replacing the dupont nylon strings with Robinson Harp strings. Apparently the sound came out even nicer!!

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

Eeek, yeah, sorry about that Michael. I keep mentioning that! It really doesn’t make sense to put nice levers on it. Levers can be quite overpriced….

I actually went back and forth with Mid-east about the levers. Mine didn’t give accurate half step raises…

I talked to

michael-rockowitz
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.