unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pedal noise, normal??? #111355
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Carl,

    The noise with the pedal. If I put the pedal up

    in reply to: nylon #163176
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Did you ever find out anything more about this?

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73140
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Leigh,

    I’m so glad to read your enthusiastic comments on the Sierra 34.

    I’m 43 years old and live in Gouda (you know, where that cheese comes from!) the Netherlands and I’m a complete beginner. I’m renting a Triplett Nylon 30 at the moment and I’m teaching myself how to play the harp with Sylvia Woods book and dvd and another basic harp book by Laura Riley (the latter has less boring excercises than Woods I must say), and I’m starting to get hooked on the sound of the harp.

    I am thinking of buying a Sierra, either a 34 or a 36. I drive an old Opel Corsa ‘Swing’, which is rather small but a Sierra should fit in, which is very important as I want to play for my 80 year old father who lives in Amsterdam.

    If you have any other useful information on this harp or about Triplett in general, I would love to hear from you. Here in the Netherlands I do not know anyone (yet) who owns a Triplett, except the lady who deals in them ofcourse!

    Harp greetings,

    Martine.

    in reply to: Looking for harp teacher in Vancouver, BC (Canada) #83334
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I don’t know why you couldn’t locate Elizabeth Volpe-Bligh, who frequently posts here. I’m sure she can help you out.

    in reply to: Double Jointed Thumb #86829
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Bend it which way? I find the thumb joints need to be slightly flexed when playing.

    in reply to: La Source or Aeolian Harp #111234
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Aeolian Harp by who? I prefer Ibert’s Reflet dans l’eau to La Source.

    in reply to: Making an even sound #163197
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I just had to jump in to say…

    Thank you everyone so much for, first -all the excellent questions, and secondly for the well thought-out answers.

    in reply to: Making an even sound #163196
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Irene- I think you make an excellent point. The term “uneven” doesn’t mean anything in music unless it’s attached to something else. Rhythm-tempo-tone-volume? I think the first step towards improving the “even” sound is to find out what your teacher is describing. Then the teacher can select the elements that need to be practiced to increase more even _________. That’s what she’s being paid for!

    in reply to: Dilsexic? #86859
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi I’m profoundly dyslexic and am self taught on the harp .It’s great your finding out all you can as diyslexic’s need to find out what creative area’s they are good at when they are young as creativtiy is a key facoter in the dyslexic personality. I don’t relate well to talking about music in letters. That seems inappropriate to me and many dyslexics feel emotionally negative towards letters but hopefully this young person won’t be too scared yet. The

    in reply to: Dilsexic? #86858
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That sounds wonderful!

    in reply to: The best harp player #105461
    unknown-user
    Participant

    No, I knew Miss Lawrence.

    in reply to: Dilsexic? #86857
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I forgot to mention something of great importance! My youngest son who is 10, and has autism, will be preforming in his first recital next month. He is playing his violin in an emsemble with a viola and cello. They will being wearing black tuxes and formal dress. My son has started playing violin this past fall, and has amazed us all with his ability to read music

    in reply to: Dilsexic? #86856
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have read this thread several times, and have wondered if I should post or not. If I did post, I also wondered what I would say about dyslexia and reading music or reading in general. I am now 50 and have dyslexia. My oldest son who is 24 is also dyslexic. When I was young, and learning how to read, I had to compensate on my own. I still flip flop letters or numbers like small case d and b, p and q, etc. when I am tired or not feeling well. My son’s dyslexia was dx at the kindergarten level, and was taught to read with early intervention methods. His first books had red dots at cetain intervals between words. This would keep his eye focus at the needed level, and keep his reading “going forward.”

    in reply to: need info. on Triplett harps #73135
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thank you, everyone, for responding!

    Sherj,

    in reply to: Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In? #111395
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That points out the importance of having some familiarity with rules or techniques of argument, rather than, for example, simply exaggerating the other person’s statement in attempt to demolish it.

    I also relish diners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 5,570 total)