harpcolumn

Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Is Criticism Expired Like Yesterday’s Log-In?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Carl, I have really had it with you. How dare you write something I agree with? Or rather, probably will when I go back and read it all the way through. I was also talking about social situations, not just forums, and definitely not only these forums, Diane. YouTube comments would be a great example.

I am “afraid” that as heartfelt as Kay’s comment is, and having grown up with plenty of criticism, translating that experience into expecting others to somehow work around it is what ultimately leads to an atmosphere of censorship. Not you in particular, necessarily, but the broad idea of accomodating every individual’s hurts, sore spots, allergies, food sensitivities, diet peculiarities, amounts to exerting social control over others that is undesirable to many or most people. It reminds me of the totalitarian aspect of the extreme left-wing politics, where they expect everyone to think and act the same, rather than individually.

I would therefore turn around your last statement, and kindly say that the need for therapy is in the person feeling wounded or dealing with their past, and

carl-swanson
    Participant

I wanted to add one comment to my previous post, and that is that critical thinking and the discussion that goes with it, heated or not, should, in the end, leave everybody participating or just observing with an added understanding of the subject at hand. For that reason, when I’m around other people over diner for example, I relish animated and heated explorations of a given subject, but I’m ready to walk out if it is simply arguing.

unknown-user
    Participant

That points out the importance of having some familiarity with rules or techniques of argument, rather than, for example, simply exaggerating the other person’s statement in attempt to demolish it.

I also relish diners.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

I’d love to come play your harp!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies