harpcolumn

Pieces to play

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Pieces to play

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone. Last May/June i finished learning&nos;Tournier’s Feerie. I took the summer very slow and at the beginning of the school year i found that i was between teachers. About a month ago i started to learn Tournier’s Au Matin by myself and it

unknown-user
    Participant

It would help to know where you are studying, how long you have been playing, and your age. I have many suggestions, beginning

unknown-user
    Participant

Also, it is important to begin studying ornamentation, so you choose the right editions or can correct the mistakes so commonly made. Usually, a trill should begin on the beat on the upper note, well through the classical period. Likewise, an appoggiatura begins on the upper note on the beat, though they are often printed as grace notes. Ornaments take their rhythmic value from the following note, regardless of where they are printed on the page. Old French music would print the first note before the beat and the main note on the beat, but following the rhythmic rule, you know to begin the first note of the ornament on the beat, even though it looks otherwise! There are various sourcebooks or music with charts of ornaments.

unknown-user
    Participant

thanks so much for such a long reply. Im almost 15 years old. I’ve played for almost 7 years now and i live in New England. I studied with Stephanie Curcio for 6 years and i studied with Cynthia Price Glynn for 6 months. I will start lessons with Ina Zdorovetchi in a few weeks.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, then, I bet you’ve been given an excellent foundation, as Ms. Curcio was a pupil of my teacher, Miss Lawrence, and several of her students have gone to the Curtis Institute of Music. If you continue to try other teachers, you should give Emily Halpern Lewis a try, too.

zach-hatcher
    Participant

play Zabels la source it is fantastic sounding and fun to play.
    zach

Sam, try Aria in Classic Style by Marcel Grandjany; you will love it and so will any audience. Possibly you might hear it performed on http://www.youtube.com.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the recent input, but I´ve found guidance through competition repertoire. Also, I am currently playing at a level far above the one I described in my 2 year old post.

Sam

That’s great that you are advancing rapidly. Using contest lists as a guide for repertoire can be a trap. Many times they will ask for pieces you might never normally do on a professional recital. What you play says as much about you as how you play it. At your age, you should begin forgoing the repertoire by harpists and learning to play as much music by serious composers as possible, I think.

I would recommend Handel’s Theme and Variations, and Concerto, and the Harmonious Blacksmith. Beethoven’s Variations. The Spohr Fantaisie would be excellent. Debussy. The Faure Impromptu. High-quality transcriptions of the masters. Stuff like that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies