harpcolumn

The best harp player

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break The best harp player

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I would love to have the second trio recording by Grujon, Mony and Alister. Mony is now in Victoria, B.C., last I heard. Miss Alister gave Miss Lawrence a beautiful pin she often wore for teaching. Is your grandfather still with us and playing?

Katrina Szederkenyi
    Participant

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Nicanor Zabaleta!!!! There aren’t many recordings, but you should definatly listen to his cd of spanish music, as well as his version of Rodrigo’s “concierto serenata”. brilliant!

My favorites are Isabelle Moretti, Sandrine Chatrot, Kerstin Allvin, Marcel Grandjany and Judy Loman. 🙂

Briggsie

deborah-nyack
    Participant

Rita Costanzi.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Saul, do you know Kathleen Alister?

unknown-user
    Participant

No, I knew Miss Lawrence.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Saul, could you perhaps furnish details of the recording of the Bax Elegiac Trio, that you were so impressed with.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi, me again, posting again, hoping that Saul Davis could possibly pass on the info.

unknown-user
    Participant

It is searchable. I saw some information somewhere on the ‘net. They did two recordings, probably in London. I think they appeared on more than one label. Here, I found it as a Westminster cassette tape. The tape has on it the Bax Elegiac Trio, Lavry Suite Concertante, and a trio by Voss.

There was a long thread on this in Professional harpists: http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message%5fid=165254

unknown-user
    Participant

Try the exciting sounds of Lavinia Meijer (www.laviniameijer.com)!

unknown-user
    Participant

Look for Alison Vardy. She is a Celtic solo harp player from South Coastal British Columbia, Canada.

My favorite songs from her are:
    1.) Hornby Hornpipe/Off

phoebe-powell
    Participant

I would say Grandjany. My harp teacher has some LP’s, that were her Mum’s (who studied with Grandjany and so did my harp teacher), of Grandjany and Salzedo and many others. We’ll often be going through a piece and when it’s not working we go to the LP player and find the song, and then listen to it. I find it really helpful for me to listen to the piece and that will help me find the meaning of the piece. The recordings are in really good shape and sound is so fantastic. I love how clear Grandjany’s playing is.
    I do have one question, and that is, did people tune their harps at a lower pitch back in Salzedo and Grandjany’s day? Cause when I hear Grandjany play Le Bon Petite Roi d’Yvetot, it sounded as if the strings were a lot lower pitched, cause when I go back to play it it sounds as if it’s in a different key. The sound

harp guy
    Participant

To answer your question about pitch, the answer is yes.

phoebe-powell
    Participant

Do you think that it would have been easier to play fast pieces because the strings were at a lower tension?
    I remember my Mum telling me that in the Baroque era the pitch was lower, and that it was a lot easier for singers and wind players to do high notes. She also said that wind players were less likely to die from an exploding blood vessel in the brain as well! I wonder why the pitch got higher?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies