harpcolumn

Dilsexic?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Dilsexic?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Have you had a dyslexic student, and how did you deal with it?

Kelly R
    Participant

Hi Saul.  I’m a student, not yet a teacher, but there is a really good article about teaching the dyslexic student in the ABRSM magazine Libretto Jan. 2005 issue p. 9 (available to view online – http://www.abrsm.org/resources/libretto/libretto0501.pdf )

e-nb
    Participant

Hi Kelly

unknown-user
    Participant

Some things that are useful in the broad context of education are color coding, movement and listening before reading ( Suzuki?), placing with eyes closed to learn interval distances, using tactile representations of visual tools. If you can do a hands on project, make a staff or the great staff using string glued onto paper, and have the student touch the pattern of strings while placing buttons for the notes, as a way of learning the relative position of notes on the staff.

So much depends on the individual- it really is necessary to find out what things the student can or can’t do, then develop a tool for remediating the deficit. Hope some of these suggestions were useful.

e-nb
    Participant

Hi Ann,

unknown-user
    Participant

I have read this thread several times, and have wondered if I should post or not. If I did post, I also wondered what I would say about dyslexia and reading music or reading in general. I am now 50 and have dyslexia. My oldest son who is 24 is also dyslexic. When I was young, and learning how to read, I had to compensate on my own. I still flip flop letters or numbers like small case d and b, p and q, etc. when I am tired or not feeling well. My son’s dyslexia was dx at the kindergarten level, and was taught to read with early intervention methods. His first books had red dots at cetain intervals between words. This would keep his eye focus at the needed level, and keep his reading “going forward.”

unknown-user
    Participant

I forgot to mention something of great importance! My youngest son who is 10, and has autism, will be preforming in his first recital next month. He is playing his violin in an emsemble with a viola and cello. They will being wearing black tuxes and formal dress. My son has started playing violin this past fall, and has amazed us all with his ability to read music

unknown-user
    Participant

That sounds wonderful!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi I’m profoundly dyslexic and am self taught on the harp .It’s great your finding out all you can as diyslexic’s need to find out what creative area’s they are good at when they are young as creativtiy is a key facoter in the dyslexic personality. I don’t relate well to talking about music in letters. That seems inappropriate to me and many dyslexics feel emotionally negative towards letters but hopefully this young person won’t be too scared yet. The

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.