unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,561 through 1,575 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: favorite pedal harp piece #111055
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I hope this won’t count as cheating since I would be 93 before I’d ever be able to play it, but the c# minor Impromptu by Reinhold that Basel Sara has been posting about on another thread sure would be a nifty encore piece, and it sounds as though it would be great fun to play.

    I think we’ve pretty much settled on the fact that it was written for piano, but to my ear, it sounds better on harp than it would on piano, and here’s the best part, you can download it and print it free. The copywrite on the music appears to be 1896 or’98, so anyone who wants it can take it legally.

    I posted the URL in the Professional Harpists voume. Give it a look and see what you think!

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160101
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here is a thought no one else seems to be mentioning.

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160099
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I recently gave a “Harp 101” workshop and became acquainted with two horrible harps first-hand. Both were lap harps. One was a Pakistani harp the woman bought for $300 in Branson, and it might have been worth that… maybe. The other was so bad that I just had to keep checking it to make sure it didn’t disappear. The strings were irregularly spaced, tuning wonky, craftmanship abominable, and the finish orange-peeling. Turns out it was made by a local ‘craftsman’ who has since moved away… I think it’s a good thing.

    One good thing about the Pakistani harps is that they really are gorgeous to look at, with all the elaborate inlay work.

    in reply to: Ever have a nightmare involving your harp? #162418
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I finally have something to add to this thread! I’ve had two harp nightmares in the past month.

    In the first one, I was getting ready to play in front of a large group of people, but I couldn’t start playing. I kept preparing and shifting the harp around to get it in a comfortable position (it was a lap harp) and tuning and such but I couldn’t bring myself to play it. I was scared and I couldn’t remember any of the songs, and my fingers felt strange on the strings, like all the muscle memory was gone and it was my first time trying to play again. Crazy! Everyone got tired of waiting and just left, and it was very sad!

    The second nightmare was just weird, but similar in a way. I had left the harp outside (??? I don’t know why either) and it had started to rain. I think I was playing it outside and then walked away for something not knowing it was going to rain. Anyway, I ran back really worried, and when I got to the harp, it looked okay, just had a few raindrops on it, and it had stopped raining. I started trying to play it and then like the first dream I couldn’t. It felt awkward and I couldn’t put my fingers on the strings the right way, and then I realized it shrunk from the rain! Very strange. Someone was sititng next to me and I asked “Can a harp really shrink if it gets wet?” and she looked at me like it was the most obvious thing in the world and said “Yes, it can, and yours did.”

    So glad

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71405
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I a-door swell harps.

    in reply to: chamber music with harp #110939
    unknown-user
    Participant

    For Bax listening, I prefer the Nash Ensemble, and Doris Lederer with Jude Mollenhauer.

    in reply to: new teacher with new student-where to start!? #86721
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’m a music teacher and I’ve taken up the harp as a retirement gift to myself. My teacher, who is wonderful, started me on articulation of fingers and thumb the first time I met with her. I didn’t feel overwhelmed with using all fingers because the articulation task was my focus point.

    She also had me work on the postion of my hands, arms, and fingers, and she pointed to individual strings as I articulated them. I didn’t have any printed music for the first couple weeks, so I was just responsible for position and articulation, I think it gave me a degree of early confidence to begin that way.

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71404
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Denise,

    I have a London-made Erard Gothique and would love to know when it was made, but I’m not sure if I’m understanding your instructions correctly.

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160097
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi,

    in reply to: You might be a harp addict if… #110904
    unknown-user
    Participant

    You walk around town and hear people say–“Look! it’s the harp lady!”

    Even though you’re single and childless you seriously consider buying a minivan. Your friends think it’s hysterically funny that your first requirement for a new car, over gas economy, looks, and safety, is “Does it fit my harp/s?”

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166428
    unknown-user
    Participant

    señor walter que tipo de arpa usted toca porque necesitamos arpista que ejecute musica paraguaya en julio en la ciudad de sao paulo

    me costesta a mmangore@hotmail.com

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166427
    unknown-user
    Participant

    SEÑOR LUIS

    LE INVITAMOS A CONOCER NUESTRAS ARPAS A TRAVES DE http://www.mangore.com.py y a darnos su opinion sobre nuestros modelos.

    cordiales saludos

    mangore arpas y guitarras

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166426
    unknown-user
    Participant

    le ofrecemos arpas paraguayas de 37 cuerdas con semitonos salvi, vealas en http://www.mangore.com.py

    info@mangore.com.py

    cordiales saludos

    in reply to: Arpistas Latinos! #166425
    unknown-user
    Participant

    para angelica vianna

    necesito saber de arpista paraguayo que viva en sao paulo o cercanias para el 15 al 18 de julio en comunidad japonesa

    in reply to: stolen harp #162996
    unknown-user
    Participant

    A man walked into the stage door of the Metropolitan Opera and walked off with one of the harps awaiting pickup by the harpmover. The security guards didn’t bat an eye, as the regular harp mover looks pretty scruffy himself. The man (homeless type) carried it as far as Broadway, and was caught trying to hail a cab that would be able to fit it in.

    Daphne Hellman left a harp in her parked car and someone stole it.

    It happens plenty.

    I had my harp bench stolen, as well as a music stand at a rehearsal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,561 through 1,575 (of 5,570 total)