Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Concern! #162176
    Tacye
    Participant

    To clarify- we are not suggesting that the child wore the finish off in only 10 minutes, we are suggesting that it may well have already worn off in the last 75 years and not been particularly noticed.

    On a positive note white spirit (which I remember has a different US name) is safe to use to dampen a cloth to wipe down shellac, and most other common finishes but will remove some waxes.

    in reply to: dropping string tension #86444
    Tacye
    Participant

    O think the big question is what vehicle and how will it be travelling?

    in reply to: Concern! #162169
    Tacye
    Participant

    On a harp of that age I would assume the original finish to be French polish, but others may know more specifically about L&Hs.

    in reply to: Markings in Grandjany’s Fantaisie on a theme of Haydn #86427
    Tacye
    Participant

    Do you have Grandjany’s Music for the Harp book?

    Tacye
    Participant

    There are quite a few lever harps with pedal tension gut strings available.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102831
    Tacye
    Participant

    You are probably thinking of “stress analysis of a strapless evening gown” inspired by a mildly classic scientific paper of the same title.

    in reply to: What to do when you can not try? #162632
    Tacye
    Participant

    There are harp shops in the UK, but you would need to travel around to play all the different models available (London for L&H and Salvi and nearby for Pilgrim, Cardiff for Salvi and Camac and near Oxford for Aoyama, unless you could come to a festival- The Edinburgh harp festival will be at the start of April and last year had L&H Pilgrim Salvi Camac and Aoyama pedal harps- I am sure there will be a Welsh festival with a similar line up too.

    Paris has a good availability of harps too.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162098
    Tacye
    Participant

    I must admit to being lazy on this occasion and asking the person from whom I bought the wire to calculate it for me as I didn’t know what stress on the string would give the desired sound either.
    http://www.earlygaelicharp.info/emporium/wire/

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162096
    Tacye
    Participant

    I restrung a Stoney End Eve with medieval style brass wire (having removed all levers and bridge pins) and am happy with the sound, though would prefer narrower spacing, which the clarseach has, if I had been chasing after the ideal, rather than the easiest solution.

    in reply to: Cause of big black spots under pedal harp #162635
    Tacye
    Participant

    I have never heard of this either, but wonder if there may be oil coming from the rolled up felt inside the pedal springs.

    in reply to: laser harp #72431
    Tacye
    Participant

    I have played with a couple of these- they are quite popular in children’s science centres.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102745
    Tacye
    Participant

    “I don’t think that we can
    totally dismiss the harpist’s willingness to perform it as at least
    some indication that she felt that it was worthy to be performed.”

    Hmm, maybe, maybe not.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68610
    Tacye
    Participant

    For high-tec practicality I am very impressed with the Teifi levers, which are similar, but I think have even more scope for adjustment than these seem to and less elegant, but very visible and grabbable handles. They are also in active use on Teifi’s harps.

    in reply to: Help! I’m really trying to learn! #162811
    Tacye
    Participant

    Might it reassure you to know that after nearly 20 years of playing I still spend time (and should spend more!) on the total basics- making sure 2 note chords are exactly together and have the balance between the notes I want for instance.

    in reply to: from ordinary to extraordinary #110960
    Tacye
    Participant

    Critically important is to really listen to every detail of every sound you make.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,276 through 1,290 (of 1,469 total)