Cause of big black spots under pedal harp

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #162634

Does anyone know what causes big blotchy spots on the carpet underneath a fairly new L&H pedal harp? I have tried carpet stain remover, but it doesn’t remove them. I have never heard of this happening before, and I am a very concerned. I have put a small carpet under it for now as I don’t know what else to do.

Participant
    Tacye on #162635

I have never heard of this either, but wonder if there may be oil coming from the rolled up felt inside the pedal springs.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #162636

It might be worth contacting L&H about it.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #162637

Where are the spots? Under the feet or under the open center of the base?

Participant
    carl-swanson on #162638

It sounds like the black rubber pads that the harp sits on when you play could be causing that. You may have to try a solvent, like alcohol or paint thinner.

Participant
    unknown-user on #162639

Thanks everyone for your help. I have looked underneath it and it is clean. It must be

Participant
    unknown-user on #162640

Sounds like dripping excess grease to me.

Participant
    unknown-user on #162641

I found the cause of the problem. Evidently some grease had been coming out from the A pedal. This must have been a while ago, because I set a white towel under the harp, and no grease is leaking out now. The only thing is, the wall to wall carpet is very soiled and has to be completely cleaned. But, at least, I now know what caused it, and that it has stopped leaking. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.