harpcolumn

Delacour Levers – a new star is born

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Delacour Levers – a new star is born

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Hi,

I just come back from the harpvestival at Dinan, France.

For some time there was always rumor

They are intriguing looking. Do they raise the pitch 1/2 step, and then another 1/2 step as discs do?

I always thought the Norris levers were clever, but these kind of look more interesting, depending on what they are able to do.

Briggs

carl-swanson
    Participant

Bernhard– The big question is: How much do they cost? They look expensive. And Americans, thanks to the disastrous economy created by George Bush and the Republican party, have to add 60% to the price because of the lowered value of the dollar. I suspect that they are way too expensive for practical use.

And before anybody jumps on me over this, the question is this. If you buy a 36 string lever harp and these levers cost say, $20 per lever, then the levers alone, without the cost of installing them, is $720. Installing them will bring the total cost to at least $1,000, and probably more. So instead of paying say $3,000 for your lever harp, the cost goes up to $4,000 if it has these levers.

katerina
    Participant

Hi, Bernard,

They look really nice – both appearance and construction, – but I join Carl about price question.

We are making our Selena levers with a kind-of-the-same principle, but cheap enough.

Am I blind or they are particulary moulded?

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Briggs,
    no, they raise a semitone like a

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

They look interesting and attractive, but in addition to the important question of their cost: What do they sound like (particularly in preserving the high frequencies)?

kathy-chanik
    Participant

I also saw these levers last year at the Big Sky festival, I think I was in the Dusty STrings booth at the time.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

> I’m afraid it might be hard to grab, especially on the fly.

Yes, they do not look player-friendly at all.

>the only really important thing is what do they SOUND like…

Well, not if I can’t move them while playing. I can think of at least one existing lever make that is less popular than it would be if you could easily find and flip it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oops, forgot to say, “Hi, Kathy!”

I’m also curious as to how much they weigh.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

I cant answer all the questions about the levers. The reason for posting

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Pedal harps also use a “fork” system to make flats and sharps, and all I know is that a pedal harp sounds much better in Cb-when all the strings are open, than they do in C#, when all the forked discs are engaged.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Also, David (I think that’s who) and a few others over the years have used levers with a fork system in the past, as does the Dilling harp, although those work differently, of course.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

> It will take some time till they arrive to the first US harpmaker and
    slowly you will have harpists working with them and they will give
    infos.

I think that’s the way it goes…

But – if these levers have not been tested by actual use on any harp, then someone is having to buy them in order to try them out, without a known track record or experience to judge by.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Bonnie,
    I tested the levers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies