harpcolumn

Musical Terrorism

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Musical Terrorism

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

Now I understand why this piece was

Michael H
    Participant

Oh, Kathy, would you hold it against me if I showed up at your store on Friday and played like that on your harps? You wouldn’t give me the boot, would ya? Cause I don’t know, I sorta…Dig that spunky harpin’.

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

Well Michael,

So long as you don’t show up with a slit skirt up your thigh and show off anatomy, I can deal with that.

Obscenities and vulgarities while playing the harp, I dunno…

Michael H
    Participant

Gee whiz! I promise I’ll be on my most bestest behavior! I am not promising anything about the skirt though, it’s my body, I’ll wear what I want.

I might shout some obscenities should I manage to injure myself on the intruments, I once got a nice sized cut on my arm from a tuba, just to give you an idea about how accident prone I am.

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

Gosh, Michael, my harps can slice cheese, but I promise you that they

unknown-user
    Participant

There was once a stripper harpist in burlesque whose stage name was Virginia Nomoria, who started out in an evening gown, playing Zabel’s La Source, then began peeling off and once down to pasties, she would sit down and play Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight.

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

Doesn’t Deborah Henson-Conant have a number about “The Zone” or the “strapless evening gown” while playing the harp?

Tacye
    Participant

You are probably thinking of “stress analysis of a strapless evening gown” inspired by a mildly classic scientific paper of the same title.

leonieke-de-kleer
    Participant

Unlike a lot of responders in this column….

I’ve been there and I was moved in a different way.

It was a very emotional performance and I think Miss Meyer has shown braveness playing this music at the congress. She must have known she could be under attack like this.

The harp has may faces & many sounds. Harpers have different opinions.

I’d like to thank her for performing this piece.

I think or hope that

Liam M
    Participant

You know I had overlooked this thread….

I am not much of a harper, harpist…whatever.

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

With all due respect, Leonieke, I don’t think it takes “braveness” to play such a piece.

Liam M
    Participant

Is it seeking sensationalism and pushing the boundaries to exhibit passion for a cause?

tony-morosco
    Participant

“And I am quite thankful to see that others have been willing to challenge boundaries as well.”

Personally I think the only real use of such boundaries is it lets

Kathleen Elarte
    Participant

If you see passion or a cause in a drug addict whose frenzy is blasted from a boom box shouting obscenities, then I, for one, am more than glad that I don’t know your poetry nor do I wish to.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.