Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What is the name of this part of the harp? #194260
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Maybe one of the harp techs would know.
    I thought it was called a handle.
    Mine don’t have them (LH15 and Etude).
    I attach my leather tuning key holder thru the holes and around the wood.

    in reply to: Short-notice event #194189
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thank goodness there wasn’t a real fire because no one could have heard the alarm! Balfour, I’m so glad someone appreciates all my work. Never, never publish…it’s tons of work, expensive, and you have to sell at a really low price to get anyone to buy. (no profit)
    Jerusha, paying them so much more was such a sweet thing to do. I’m sure they were glad to have it and remember you always. You could expand your territory and try playing some weddings to see if you like doing them.

    in reply to: Short-notice event #194173
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It was really quite bizarre. Usually, if there’s a tip, it will be $20. I know it wasn’t a mistake because he told me the amount when he gave it to me.
    The people didn’t appear to be super rich, but it was a nice place with a pool and big enough to have huge utility bills. Maybe he was just in a good mood.

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #192693
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I named my first harp, a LH15, Hyacynth. The reason for the y is that the first time I wrote it, I put a y instead of an i, so I just kept it that way. When I bought her, I was way too poor to be buying a harp, but Lyon-Healy graciously financed it.

    I always thought the quote came from the mid-East (see below), but Whittier is sometimes given credit for writing it. (I still think it’s mid-Eastern.)

    If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
    And from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
    Sell one, and with the dole
    Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.
    Mosleh Eddin Saadi, Gulistan (Garden of Roses).

    in reply to: Messages #192619
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Never mind. I figured it out. Thanks.

    in reply to: Squeaky levers #192600
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Madeline, Where are you in S. TX? I live in S. TX also.

    in reply to: Capriccio Espanol cadenza #192498
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Well, my teacher was a Salzedo student, so maybe that’s what he was doing, but I don’t understand it. Does it start on the E instead of the A?

    in reply to: Capriccio Espanol cadenza #192494
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m not expecting to play it, but I saw it on a program list and wondered about it. I heard it played a few years ago, and the repeated A was clearly a problem. Maybe the tempo has to be slow, or maybe the A could be played only once going fast, giving the impression it was there a second time.

    in reply to: Right hand harmonics #192445
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What size harp is it? I play a LH15, and the top strings are quite short compared to the bigger harps. If the harmonic is not gettable, I just play the natural sound an octave higher.

    in reply to: Breaking disc arms #192150
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Must have been tricky to keep playing without the disc functioning.

    in reply to: Aoyama Harps #192031
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I have an Aoyama Etude 1989 42 string. It’s very sturdy, and I use it for outdoor, house parties, etc., where it’s easier to maneuver than my other harp.
    The string spacing is a bit narrower in the bass than my LH15 and it was hard to get used to, but it doesn’t bother me now.
    When it first came from the factory, I thought it sounded terrible, but of course it got better being played on. The sound is not as good as the LH15, but I always amplify, and it sounds OK.
    Also, I think the metal work is not as good as LH. Several disc arms have broken. Only one of my LH disc arms has broken, and my LH is 1971.
    The climate here is both dry and humid, and I don’t use much AC. Probably the smaller harps aren’t affected as much by humidity.
    You can see it in some of the pics on my website.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

    in reply to: Pedal Harp for college? #191916
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Why don’t you contact the harp dept. at that college and ask?
    I studied harp in college (not as a major), and I practiced on the school harps. I never owned a harp till I was out of college. My teacher was happy to have a beginner, but other teachers may not be.

    in reply to: New Harpist! #191875
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: New Harpist! #191866
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You’re right, Paul, it is on the left, and I didn’t even notice. Duh.

    in reply to: New Harpist! #191864
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Is your future teacher a lever harpist or a pedal harpist?
    Just wondering.
    I’ve always been pedal, and I love having the feet do the work of changing key and getting sharps and flats. That way, my hands are always free to play.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 824 total)