harpcolumn

What is the name of this part of the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories What is the name of this part of the harp?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JohnBrisbane

Hi folks

Does anyone know the proper name for the metal ‘brace’ thing that that sits across the centre sound hole on the back of the harp? On Style 23s and 11s it’s quite ornate whereas on Salzedos, 100s, and 30s it’s quite plain.

I know that some people strap a tuning to them with a leather pouch.

I can’t for the life of me find what the proper name is that, for instance, Lyon and Healy would call it by.

Thank you so much in advance if anyone can answer.

John

Sylvia
    Participant

Maybe one of the harp techs would know.
    I thought it was called a handle.
    Mine don’t have them (LH15 and Etude).
    I attach my leather tuning key holder thru the holes and around the wood.

carl-swanson
    Participant

It’s a handle. And it’s called: a handle. It’s not a brace and it has nothing to do with anything structural on the harp.

JohnBrisbane

Thank you! 🙂

Andelin
    Participant

Lol Carl! I don’t know if you were trying to be humorous but I thought it was funny. 🙂

carl-swanson
    Participant

Ah! At last! Someone who appreciates my warped sense of humor!

Tacye
    Participant

It wouldn’t call it a handle – it’s a ‘handle’ with definite quotation marks because I was taught never to attempt to move a harp by one. I wouldn’t trust my harp to something held on with two rather small screws.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely agree with Andelin, Carl: that reply was just so funny, that even if it had been meant 100% seriously, it would still be 100% funny! ^^

hearpe
    Participant

I have always called it the “Pinata function” because that’s where I hang my harp from while blind folded ninos y ninas try to knock candy out of it with a silver hammer. That’s also why I never put any candy into my harp, because who needs young gringos trying to break your harp apart?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.