harpcolumn

Capriccio Espanol cadenza

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Capriccio Espanol cadenza

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

Anyone know how it’s played doubling the E (with the F flat) instead of the A?
    My teacher had me do it that way in college, but that was centuries ago, and I don’t remember how I did it. I’m wondering if anyone else has played it that way.

I use an Fb instead of the E at the bottom of the opening chord, to make it easier to reach. I used to double the E with an Fb, (A, E, Fb, A, Fb, E, A) but now I play it as written (A, E, A, A, E, A, chord). I play 421124 in the right hand, then the chord with the left. On the last one, I reach down with the right hand to play the beginning of the upward figure. Some conductors like to reiterate the gliss, the second time softer.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m not expecting to play it, but I saw it on a program list and wondered about it. I heard it played a few years ago, and the repeated A was clearly a problem. Maybe the tempo has to be slow, or maybe the A could be played only once going fast, giving the impression it was there a second time.

It would not be musically viable to leave out the repeated notes unless they are being replaced by the Salzedo’s version with the doubled E, Fb edit. There have to be six notes in each figure or it doesn’t sound Spanish.

Sylvia
    Participant

Well, my teacher was a Salzedo student, so maybe that’s what he was doing, but I don’t understand it. Does it start on the E instead of the A?

MusikFind1
    Participant

The Rimsky-Korsakoff/Salzedo: Revised Cadenza for Capriccio Espagnole is published in the ABC of Harp Playing. Pub. Schirmer. Sales agent Hal Leonard.
    “ABC of Harp Playing for Harpists, Orchestrators and Arrangers (L Lawrence).” HL50481120 List Price: $16.99
    Part one – Easy studies (level 1-2) designed for use of pedals and Part two – orchestral excerpts with suggestions on how to play them (level 3).

Hal Leonard does not sell directly to individuals. Order from your music dealer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies