Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Pachelbel's canon – played by my son #196881
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Nice he loves the harp.  Maybe you could get him a teacher so he could learn fundamental technique (how to place fingers on strings, open and close the hand while playing, etc.).  Or if there is no teacher near you, there are various Youtube videos and books.  Also, some harp teachers teach via Skype.  I think there are some on the forum.  You could ask if someone is available.

    in reply to: What harp shoes should I buy? #196796
    Sylvia
    Participant

    If I had a harp teacher who required me to wear high heels to play, I would certainly get a different teacher.  Thank goodness my teacher had better sense than that.  I think we   should wear whatever we are most comfortable playing in.  We decide that for ourselves.

    in reply to: Gigging order #196743
    Sylvia
    Participant

    By key.  I play from memory, so maybe my MO doesn’t count.  I make a list of abbreviations (for the names of the songs).  I start with F and go thru C flat.

    in reply to: website issues- harp column doesn't answer #196508
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I got it by going to the box on the right.  At the bottom, I set it for link to media file.

    in reply to: Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto #196028
    Sylvia
    Participant

    But I’m still wondering what orchestra is playing it.

    in reply to: Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto #196022
    Sylvia
    Participant

    My previous post isn’t helpful, but I see it didn’t show up out there.  I’ll try again.

    in reply to: Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto #195993
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sorry, I don’t have it.  I’m wondering what orchestra is playing this piece.  Your info doesn’t list your city.

    in reply to: Practice Paralysis and what it means for the future #195962
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve never had to face this situation, but something jumped out at me while reading.  You mention money, and you mention having a harp teacher.  If I were in your situation, the first thing I would do is postpone lessons indefinitely.  That way, the money going out would be reduced, and you could re-start lessons when you felt able.

    in reply to: Playing dinner music #195843
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Oh, good.  Glad to hear that.  I thought maybe I was doing an overkill, but Muzak just keeps going, and that’s pretty much what we are in background music.  I don’t really feel the audience.  I have to get into the zone and just listen for the music come out…not be distracted by what’s around me.

    in reply to: Playing dinner music #195802
    Sylvia
    Participant

    That’s a good idea.  I’ll try that next time.  Thanks.

    in reply to: Help! Severe thumb pain/soreness playing new harp #195706
    Sylvia
    Participant

    No help here.  Just wondering why you would be playing the bass notes (wires?) with the thumb.  You mean your thumb as in the top of an octave in the bass?

    in reply to: pedal harp slot felts #195248
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thank you.  I wonder why they have thick slot felts if they can cause problems.

    in reply to: Grow Old with Me: Aging-Related Changes #195078
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think bleach can cause squeaking.  I put some in my dish water, but I wear gloves when I wash the dishes.

    in reply to: PA system #194981
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t plug anything into my (pedal) harp, so I’m wondering since a PA picks up voice (it’s not plugged into the person), would it just as well pick up the harp sound?

    I’m looking into the Kustom personal PA- wt is 18 lbs.

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194840
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It’s possible your harp behaves badly because it doesn’t like its name.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 824 total)