harpcolumn

Do you name your harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Do you name your harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Dot Pecson
    Participant

My first harp was Pagophylus – the generic name of the Harp Seal. As a seal-o-phile from childhood, it seemed more than appropriate. Like the music of a harp, seals hold the wisdom and sadness of the ages in their eyes, yet know the joy of being alive.

Anyone else?

phoebe-powell
    Participant

I named my first CG pedal harp Minerva, but then my teacher informed my that Salvi had a harp named that so now I will have to change it! But what seems to be sticking instead of Minerva is Minnie. Quite unsuitable for a CG but it just seems to work!

Sylvia
    Participant

My Aoyama Étude is Niña, born in Japan with a French name, and I gave her a Spanish name.

jill-fichialos
    Participant

My daughter named her lever harp “Carp”.

hearpe
    Participant

Hadn’t thought about it- Have three harps right now – one for sale-

My big Mikel Celtic 34? How about “Dove”? It’s from my movie script.

http://thehearpe.tripod.com/index.html

My Stoney End Eve 22?

“Captain Rawlings” It’s from “How the West was Won”

Elettaria

Naming a musical instrument is like having a tattoo, for me personally: it’s not something I’d do, it feels wrong for me, but I admire them on other people. I love the idea of calling a concert grand harp Minnie!

My first love is my piano, which is a Bluthner grand in rosewood that was made in 1924 and has been in the family for generations. Naming that would feel presumptuous.

O yes!
    Angel, an ogden, is my first harp.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Okay, friends, most of you know that I name my harps and other musical instruments! My pedal harp is a L&H 85GP–what a poor name for a beautiful harp!!! So, I named her “Eglantine Rose,” the Sweetbriar species rose, since this harp is so sweet in tone. As soon as I discovered my Dusty Strings FH 36 S in figured cherry wood, I named her “Cherie.” (This also means “dear one,” and she indeed is a dear one!) Now I no longer drink cherry Cokes, I drink Cherie cokes, ha, ha!

Best wishes to all of you,
    Balfour

Biagio
    Participant

Heh Heh, there are times I name my harps by the symbols found on the shift of the first typewriter row keys. But since you ask…I have a nylon/gut model line named “Selchie” (they vary by size) and a wire line called “Gwalchmai”.

Laurie persuaded me to take in her lovely old cherry Caswell wire 27 but I would have to search my heart to give her a name. It was made by Chris and his wife in 1985 around the time I first met him. You don’t name something like that easily.

Biagio

cybalou

I named my school’s long neglected harp, a Lyon and Healy Style 17 Mrs. Harpy.

Anita Jaynes

For the first 50 years that I played the harp, I never gave a harp a name. Then last year I bought my first new harp, a Lyon & Healy Style 150. The mahogany finish inspired me to start calling it Ruby and the name stuck. I have an ancient Style 22 also; it’s referred to as Old Gold. I never thought of myself as a harp namer — until now.

Vincent M. Titara
    Participant

I have a beautiful Ebony Salvi Sinfonietta Semi Grand and her name is Bella. 🙂

anita-leschied
    Participant

I didn’t until someone asked me and I chose Edith as in Edith Bunker – my harp works hard for me, she is quite full bodied and she has a personality like Edith – tolerant, forgiving, fun.

Joyce Jamele
    Participant

My Dusty Strings FH36S in bubinga is Ethel (Merman) as she has such a big voice.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

I named my first little harp right away. Her name was Lydia. Then, when I got my Delight, I thought, “I’ll wait to see what name seems right for this one.” 5 years later, still no name. I have a small wire harp now as well, and haven’t named it yet, either. I LIKE naming instruments, I just can’t seem to find a natural fit for these guys! 😉 I do talk to them sometimes, though, so there’s that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies