Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Roland Cube? #113051
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Did you try just putting a mic next to the harp?
    i have pedal harps, so I don’t want a pickup. I am looking at PA systems…tried an Alto Pro and didn’t like it. I use two older guitar amps, but nowadays guitar amps are designed for plug-in type instruments and don’t pick up acoustic.

    in reply to: How did you learn to play/read #60393
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Depends on what your harp goals are. I think music for gigs should be memorized because music stands detract from the picture. My rep is all memorized, and I play a free left hand.

    When I play opera or orchestra parts, then I have to play what’s really there, and I have to work on it quite a while…I get my parts way ahead of time….once I get the notes down, I practice with the recording. No sight reading here!

    Everyone learns differently, and I think harp players are reeeally different from each other. I think your memory ability will serve you well. BTW, I started harp in college, and I could read only the treble clef when I started.

    When I got out on my own, I found that written-out music was almost impossible for me to learn, so I just write down the melody (with chord symbols) in a comfortable key, The left hand takes care of itself…and sounds much fuller than in written arrangements.

    in reply to: Lightweight amplifier? #112196
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Has anyone tried an all-in-on PA? I just talked to a guy at the Guitar Center, and he recommended the Alto Pro TS 110A.

    in reply to: So what extents have YOU gone to? #113013
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I bought my first pedal harp (LH15) by working nights in a nursing home (I also had another part-time job)…saved up half the price for a down payment to LH (took about 3 years), so I could have low monthly payments after I got it to pay off the rest (another 3 years). My 2nd pedal harp (Aoyama Etude) was born 18 years later….saved up the total amount from what I made playing.
    Just hang in there. Eventually, you’ll have it.

    in reply to: free websites #112919
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I figured out how to make my email address a link…text widget tool bar…just highlight what you want as a link and hit link! I finally noticed I didn’t have my phone # on there, so I put that. This is a real learning experience.

    in reply to: Lightweight amplifier? #112195
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Be sure of the return policy…and do take a harp in to try…they will notice you then. None of the ones I tried in the store would pick me up. (just really soft…then they’d plug in their guitar, and you could probably hear it in the next block). With my two amps, the Marathon 30w (30 years old) and my RadioShack 20w (about 8-9 yrs old), I have no problem. I just put a mic on the floor (padding under it) next to the harp, and it picks up fine. I really don’t understand why the other amps won’t pick up. After seeing how good the RadioShack was, I went back to see if they had bigger ones, but they said they didn’t make them anymore…I think I got the last of the line. I have that Fishman pickup that I got years ago, and as I said earlier in the thread, the cord just swooshed every time I moved, and I had to stick it pretty high up in order not to hear the pedal movements…others say they use a pickup, but it didn’t work for me. They need to make them cordless.

    in reply to: free websites #112917
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Can you just put a link to them?

    in reply to: free websites #112915
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just dragged the column divider down and put my music samples in columns! WOW. I’m so proud!

    in reply to: free websites #112913
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ve put three on there. I scanned into jpeg, used the picture widget, and loaded them in. I may not have had them in the right format before…this time it just loaded them without ever complaining. As you can see, my pics are not super quality. They were taken on a Walmart 10 (or 12). That’s what I call stuff that costs $10 or $12….like my watch or shoes…I just say…it’s a Walmart 10…now they seem to be more 12s.
    One pic is a church wedding, one an outdoor wedding, and one is from a benefit at a mansion…that lady is a doctor.
    Anyway, I so appreciate your input!! You’re a great help. Like I say, I really don’t know what I was doing wrong to start with…I’ve been muddling my way thru…learning something every day!
    Take a look.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

    in reply to: free websites #112911
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I got one on there. It was saved as a jpeg. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing, but I’ll keep studying it.

    in reply to: free websites #112910
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I had tried, but they kept saying they had to be only 1MB, I think.
    I’ll study the link and see if something works. Maybe I just didn’t do it right. Thanks!

    in reply to: free websites #112908
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I definitely was figuring my KBs and MBs wrong. There’s plenty of room for longer music. I changed some, but my settings on the recorder seem wrong, and I got some vibration sound.

    in reply to: free websites #112907
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m wondering how you got your pics on yours!
    I think my math is way off. I think I can get longer music on there with the mp3…at first I was doing wav, so I was figuring the same KBs, and mp3 gets a lot more….so I’m still working at it. It allows 5MB for the music, I think, and 1MB for pics. Will experiment more today.
    Maybe there’s a way to get pics on, but my links all have pics and help because one is a church wedding, one is a museum program, one is a benefit (which I got paid for), and the testimonial is an outdoor wedding…so it’s a nice variety.

    in reply to: free websites #112905
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I set up a site on Yola. It is completely free and no maintenance cost.
    It’s pretty clunky, but it’s there. I sure appreciate the tip you gave me to go there! Thanks!

    A few drawbacks. Couldn’t load pics (too heavy, they said, even when I made a pic really small, saved it different ways, etc.) I just used some links to articles that had pics of me.

    The music allowed is about 15 seconds per clip…pretty tricky to get anything in there. I’m still experimenting….will put on more music clips. The good thing is you can keep going back in and changing stuff. I want to replace the clips I have on there with better ones…just trying to get used to recording for a tiny bit of time.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.Yolasite.com

    in reply to: portable digital music recorders #112963
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It’s a little better when I use the stand and use mp3 instead of wav.
    BTW, you HAVE to get the accessory pack because the cable to connect to the computer is in it!

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 824 total)