column

portable digital music recorders

Home Forums Coffee Break portable digital music recorders

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

I sometimes record when I go out to play I’ve always used cassettes, but I can’t load anything from there. I know digital voice recorders don’t work for music, so I’m wondering if anyone has used one designed for music.

Would this be considered a field recorder? I was looking into getting one too. I don’t know too much about them but I do want something I could take out (away from my computer) and record. Right now I have a USB mic to record directly to my computer.
    Advice anyone!?

Donna O
    Participant

Sylvia, I currently use a digital voice recorder (Olympus) to record all of my lessons. I then upload to my computer into Windows media and work from there. I have fairly decent speakers on my computer so the sound quality is fine for my needs. I am also able to transfer the files to my tablet as well. I’m not sure what you are using the recording for.

Sylvia
    Participant

I want to get some sound clips….like those used on a web site.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Sylvia,

You may want to go to http://www.sweetwater.com and talk to a rep. They specialize in recording devices. I just talked to a Sweetwater rep the other day and he said the Tascam DR-05 is the easiest recorder to use. BTW, there was a thread on this before and several harpists said they like the Zoom recorders. I tried recording devices laying around the house; cassette recorder and a small digital and mini-cassette voice recorder. None could record the harp.

Sylvia
    Participant

I found the Tascam one online and was just wondering about it. So it actually works to record live music, and then you can load it into your computer?

I’ve got a Zoom H1 http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1/ which is excellent and has a really good sound quality. Amazon sell them for around $100. I got an accessories pack for mine as well with a case, mini tripod and some other bits and pieces.

Sylvia
    Participant

I found the Tasman DR-05 listed at Guitar center for $99. Has anyone used one?

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Of all the things that I have tried to record with in the house (phones, cameras, video cameras, ipad etc) the one that gives the best results is a Sony ICD (now superceded by some other model) digital voice recorder. It claimed to give CD quality recordings and it does.

Sylvia
    Participant

Christie, does the Zoom H1 give you any hiss sound when you record?
    Could you post a sound sample here, please? Thank you.

Sylvia
    Participant

Also Christie, do you use an external mic or the one inside the Zoom?

Sylvia
    Participant

I guess we lost Christie.
    I talked to a guy at the Guitar Center and told him I needed to record harp. He said he has a friend who plays mariachi harp (they aren’t as big as concert harps, but they put out quite a bit of sound). I asked him what he’d use if he recorded his friend playing. He said the Tascam DR-40. So, on Monday, I’m off to go get one…they are about $200. Anyone familiar with them?

jessica-yuen
    Participant

I use a Roland CD 2 machine. If you are not good with computer, this is the best. It can record on SD card or directly on CD or it can be burn multiple copies. I use the internal mic to record my playing and my students playing and lesson and it’s like studio quality. If you use actual mic, it’s even better. Give it a try.

Hi

You didn’t lost me but it was the weekend and I went away! I have done 3 little sound clips as tests. One is 50cm in front of the harp, 2 is 3m in front of the harp (complete with a couple of dog woofs!) and 3 is 20cm behind the soundbox. I used the same music in each for comparison. This used the internal mic on the Zoom and it was standing on the small tripod that comes in the accessories pack.

Clip 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.