harpcolumn

Lightweight amplifier?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Lightweight amplifier?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    jeffrey-mcfadden
    Participant

I’m afraid this solution won’t appeal to you but you might find it interesting. Dave Kortier has a [page](http://kortier.com/amp.htm) about amplifying harps on which, to nobody’s great surprise, he is attempting to sell you his pickups. He specifically addresses the issue of pedal noise; his pickups mount directly against each string and have reduced sensitivity on the back, sound board, side.
    They do show on the face of the harp and would, for most people, require professional installation.

robert-hanson
    Participant

The Fishman didn’t pick up much? It’s only 220 TIMES MORE POWERFUL than your amps and is especially designed for acoustic operations if needed. You must have plugged into the wrong socket or had the volume turned down. The person showing you the Fishman apparently didn’t know what he/she was doing. At 250watts and only 25 lbs. it would have blasted you out of the room. A rock and roll guitarist with their coveted Marshall Stack of eight, twelve inch speakers uses only 100 watts.

Sylvia
    Participant

No, it picked up the guitar, but not the harp. I put the mike next to the harp on the floor, where I always put my mike. (and I use either a corded one or a remote…depending on the venue setup. ) Anyway, the amps I have put out a lot more sound than the Fishman. There’s not much leeway on where to plug in, so I’m sure it was OK. I don’t think it was 25 lbs…less than that, so maybe you’re thinking of a different model.

niina
    Participant

I have been looking at the Roland AC33 for busking Tristan. I also want a really good quality pick up, so am considering the Fishman SBT-H which attaches to the soundboard and is specifically for Harp.
    http://www.fishman.com/products/view/sbt-hp-soundboard-transducer-for-harp-piano

jimmy-h
    Participant

I went to the local guitar center today thinking it would be nice to pick up an amp and cable for my harp. I left after 15 minutes when It was obvious that: a) I’m not sure what I need, and b) no one wanted to come help me figure it out. No lie, I had better customer service buying some gunpowder today (reloading).

Anyways, they didn’t seem to have any PA type systems on display but they did have some nice looking Bass amplifiers. Has anyone had good results with a Bass amplifier? I’m guessing a guitar amp wouldn’t be a good choice for us. I didn’t see any keyboard amps (but plenty of keyboards).

Sylvia
    Participant

Be sure of the return policy…and do take a harp in to try…they will notice you then. None of the ones I tried in the store would pick me up. (just really soft…then they’d plug in their guitar, and you could probably hear it in the next block). With my two amps, the Marathon 30w (30 years old) and my RadioShack 20w (about 8-9 yrs old), I have no problem. I just put a mic on the floor (padding under it) next to the harp, and it picks up fine. I really don’t understand why the other amps won’t pick up. After seeing how good the RadioShack was, I went back to see if they had bigger ones, but they said they didn’t make them anymore…I think I got the last of the line. I have that Fishman pickup that I got years ago, and as I said earlier in the thread, the cord just swooshed every time I moved, and I had to stick it pretty high up in order not to hear the pedal movements…others say they use a pickup, but it didn’t work for me. They need to make them cordless.

Sylvia
    Participant

Has anyone tried an all-in-on PA? I just talked to a guy at the Guitar Center, and he recommended the Alto Pro TS 110A.

Tristan, I’m looking at the same rechargeable / battery powered amps. Have you formed any opinions? Thanks.

Adair
    Participant

Hi Katie & Nina,
    I still haven’t purchased amp. It is winter and I’ve put busking on the back burner for now with the snow, sleet and wind. And for when I get a bit of $$ saved. I need to call a guitar place and see if one them would have all of them for me to try. I really would love to see if the Roland AC33 works. I’ve got it on search on my local CL and classifieds and check it now and then to see if any used ones come up. They are a little err, pricey for me.

Just wanted to mention that the Schatten pick up is portable, in that it can move from harp to harp with very little angst, which is a neato feature.

The Roland BA55 stereo wireless speaker is another one I am interested in, if I can handle 22#. Wireless mic comes with it.

I do like this thread.

Tristan

Sylvia
    Participant

Which Schatten pickup? There are several on the site. They don’t seem to be wireless.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies