Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62693
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I still question the use of animals. They probably starve and dehydrate the animals before the show to ensure there are no waste products to mar their fancy presentation.
    Also, it’s great to use church money to pay musicians (that’s a worthy cause), but they could put all the rest of the money to good use to help out tornado victims, etc.

    in reply to: Pain on Fingertip, Beneath Nail #60475
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I get that if I cut the nail too short.

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62691
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Just a thought. What about next year? I hope David is planning ahead so he will know how to make these people behave.

    in reply to: how to loosen a disc to adjust it? #77762
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t want the disc arm to break off. Then it’s really hard to get off because there’s only one arm to lever against (I levered between the disc and the screw head that time)…that was my LH ’71. The place that’s stuck would be whatever happens there after years of togetherness.

    in reply to: how to loosen a disc to adjust it? #77760
    Sylvia
    Participant

    This is my Aoyama Etude ’89.
    I already tried the screwdriver crossways to try to get the disc to move. It won’t.
    That’s why I wondered about a lubricant. I know not to use WD40. Marcia swears by sewing machine oil…if that doesn’t work, maybe the Viscotene will. I’m a big fan of leaving it alone if I can get by with it as is…wait till I’m not too busy.

    in reply to: offtopic happy news #113230
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Where I worked, one of my blind students had lost her sight to leukemia. Treatments didn’t work, but a bone marrow transplant from her sister did. That was about 20 years ago, and the cancer never recurred.

    in reply to: pain below right shoulder blade #60469
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think you might be sitting too high…just a guess.

    in reply to: how to loosen a disc to adjust it? #77754
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Yes, I know about the the counterclockwise stuff. As for the lubricant, Marcia, have you used it? I’m about to put something on it, but as I said, I’ve always heard it’s not good to do that, but I wouldn’t know why.
    I’m kind of hoping for a harp tech to tell us the best thing. Probably my harps are older than most of the ones here on the forum. This is my Aoyama ’89.

    in reply to: Beautiful harpists #113194
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sorry. I realized that later…I was thinking of the profile photo.

    in reply to: Beautiful harpists #113192
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Sherri, which photo are you looking at, please?
    As I said previously somewhere, I had the plastic surgeon rebuild my face after he did the reconstruction from BC.
    I tried trifocals once, and there was a blur right in the middle…very dangerous. I took them back the same day…couldn’t stand them.
    I’m wondering if you are looking at Sylvia Woods maybe. Someone mixed us up once! I wear my hair long (it’s thin) because I think it looks more harpy, and the hair combs come with the culture down here in S. TX.
    As for hands, I really don’t see how those little girls do the reaches.

    in reply to: Old Harp #77731
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m certainly not any kind of authority. It’s just that it looks like harps you see in museum photos. Seems like it would be valuable.

    in reply to: Old Harp #77728
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Jonathan, I can’t tell if you are buying it or selling it.
    Would that be around $2,000? I looked up euro = $1.35, I think it was.
    I would charge at least 10 times that much and only sell it to a museum!
    I thought 1810 was when Erard started making the double action harps.

    in reply to: Beautiful harpists #113189
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Natalie, all you have to do is click on my name here at the forum. Go to the profile, and you’ll find my website….lots of photos and music. That photo you dug up is part of a newspaper article about a wedding…the link to that article is also in my website. I used news articles for my bio.

    in reply to: Beautiful harpists #113185
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Natalie, I’m wondering what pics you saw of me that showed hands. The pic on my profile doesn’t. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else. I have big farmer hands.

    in reply to: offtopic happy news #113223
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Deb, I really did get an easy one compared to what all your husband has to go thru. I mentioned it only because when I was on the C-journey, it seemed everyone around me was so healthy it made me feel even more diseased. Actually, I didn’t fight. The doctors did all the work. Cancer can happen to anyone, but we think it will be somebody else, and it’s not always somebody else! Don’t neglect your own health because of your family. Be sure to get your mammo and other checkups.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 824 total)