harpcolumn

Will harps stay tuned in cold and windy weather?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Will harps stay tuned in cold and windy weather?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    louie-p–2
    Participant

I play the lever harp, and I am going to play outside in cold weather with wind about 70 degrees. I’m inexperienced outdoors with the harp. Do harps go out of tune in cold and windy weather?

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

70 degrees isn’t cold. Try taking your harp out on your patio or lawn and playing a bit to get accustomed to playing outside.

Sylvia
    Participant

70 is a bit nippy…if you’re used to warmer weather. It isn’t the wind… it’s the humidity that will affect your strings. If you’re using sheet music outdoors in the wind, you need to anchor it so it won’t blow around….better to play all memorized rep, if you can.
    Just like going into an air-conditioned church or hall, it takes a while for the strings to adjust to the temp and humidity. Once they have settled, you can tune to the new atmosphere.
    The wind may cause the strings to sing as it blows thru them.
    I’m just speaking from my own experience, as I don’t know what others do, but sometimes the wind makes a whooshing sound thru the mic.
    Just hope there’s no rain. Keep your cover close by in case it starts to sprinkle.

louie-p–2
    Participant

Thank you both of you! =D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.