harpcolumn

Moving harp across the country

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Moving harp across the country

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elissa Dunn
    Participant

Preparing to move a lever harp across the country (GA to TX).

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Contact the maker of the harp for moving instructions. It is worth the five minute phone call to avoid replacing your harp.

Autumn Boland
    Participant

Tuning the strings down is a good idea, in my opinion. It lessens the tension, which means your strings are less likely to break. No matter what you do, you’re bound to have to spend a few days re-tuning and re-stretching the strings to adjust for weather differences. When my boyfriend moved my harp from GA to AZ, the humidity (or lack there of) really affected the harp. I spent a good three weeks re-stringing and tuning. Just be warned that you’re going to run into problems with that.

Also, make sure you have a case for it (stating the obvious). Hard cases are generally better if moving to or from a humid place, and they’re better at protecting your harp from damage. Most movers have it in their contract that they cannot be held responsible for any damage done to musical instruments.. This just means that you have to be three times as careful on how you pack it.

Best of luck with the move! 🙂

harp guy
    Participant

I recently made a very similar move (KY to TX) except that we drove the truck ourselves. What I did is that I put it in its case (soft case), then built a crate for it (wood frame and walls). I took off the tension from the strings (gradually) the week before moving. I put the harp in the crate, then filled the crate with foam, blankets and pillows. I nailed it shut and then surrounded the harp in the truck with very large but steady pieces of furniture that were strapped to the truck. When we got to TX the harp had to stay in the truck for 3 days. Once we got to it in the truck, one of the slats had caved in but it had so much padding that the harp was unscathed. I then let my harp sit in the apartment for a week before gradually bringing it up to pitch.

I hope this gives you some ideas! The harp I moved was a 38 string LH prelude.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.