sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble. #85539
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I enjoyed your post, Georgina, because I have suffered the same fate with all of the pieces you mentioned.

    I still haven’t gotten the Salzedo where I want it but I keep telling myself that WHEN I play the 8 Dances (NOT IF), the section from the S2 will just be that much easier.

    Also love Xmas Day!

    in reply to: WEBSTER HARPS (Canada) #75448
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Yikes, I still have a walnut Seth Thomas that works fine, but I also like the bare bones Korg MA-30 for putting in my pocket or gig bag.

    in reply to: Israel Contest #108948
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thanks Brook- the blog is really entertaining, and plenty enlightening as well!

    in reply to: What happens when a string breaks? #75478
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Only speaking for lever harps, but yes, they sound like gun shots. I normally wear safety lenses anyway, but I’d want some distance between my face and a breaking harp string.

    in reply to: Micheline Kahn #151253
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thank you both for such great tips!

    in reply to: Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble. #84312
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oh-oh….. I’m an adult student just finishing bk.2 and I (sorry) absolutely LOVE this piece. I learned it about a year ago and was bursting my buttons with pride when I mastered it.

    Can’t say I had considered it as wedding piece (unless the groom was a happy farmer) but I bet you could do a theme and variations at other social occasions, especially those at which spirits were included in the refreshments, and get some mileage out of it.

    On a more serious note, I really do like the left hand melody, and I think it has some value for the lever switches.

    Hope this helps!

    in reply to: Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble. #85535
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oh-oh….. I’m an adult student just finishing bk.2 and I (sorry) absolutely LOVE this piece. I learned it about a year ago and was bursting my buttons with pride when I mastered it.

    Can’t say I had considered it as wedding piece (unless the groom was a happy farmer) but I bet you could do a theme and variations at other social occasions, especially those at which spirits were included in the refreshments, and get some mileage out of it.

    On a more serious note, I really do like the left hand melody, and I think it has some value for the lever switches.

    Hope this helps!

    in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151404
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    No apology expected! I spent all of my orchestra years with a growling bear of a conductor who was an absolute martinet about decorum.

    I was once publicly rebuked for applying ChapStick during a rehearsal and another time for wearing open toed shoes.

    Still, we were part of a wonderful orchestra and I don’t feel the least bit damaged for the experience.

    To this day I think it’s better to be a little too prim rather than too casual.

    in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151399
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Forgive me, I should have said “tough it out”. I’m spending too much time with college aged musicians lately.

    in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151398
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    ….or it has words. “A song is no song ’till you sing it”.

    Also, if I were slaving away on my contra bassoon I think I might feel a little ill used if I were to look over and see the harpist reading a best seller.

    ALSO, in this day of multi media events, you might wind up having your picture taken without knowing it, and that picture might wind up on YouTUbe, and you might become “the harpists who reads while everyone else is playing”.

    What I have seen is for instrumentalists who are not playing during a given selection to inconspicuously leave the stage and return when the harp (or any other instrument) has something to do. If it’s impossible to leave and return without being noticed, I’d feel much more comfortable being where I needed to be to play.

    ALSO, despite the very best of intentions on the part of the reader, books can fall, make noise, trip others if placed on the floor.

    I’m pretty much in the keep-your-mouth-shut-play-your-part-and-suck-it-up camp on this question I guess.

    in reply to: Pratt Lever Harps #73858
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I posted a rather unclear response here- The Princess model is pictured on the Summerhays website, along with some other beautiful Pratt harps. It doesn’t say whether they’re ready to ship or not.

    in reply to: Harp Column issue arrival #109014
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Got mine Saturday- NY tri-state. It’s definitely a keeper, too! 🙂

    in reply to: Harp Recordings #151517
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Just a little OT- I have a recording that I love, but the harpist’s breathing is so loud that it’s quite distracting.

    There are a lot of recording majors in my Theory III class and I asked them if anything could be done to reduce the sound and they wondered if the poor harpist could wear a surgical mask!

    If there were anything done with miking I think it would reduce the overall sound of the harpist’s tone.

    There’s a Judy Loman recording of interesting familiar pieces, “The Romantic Harp”, that I love, also done in a church. It’s probably one that most harpists already know. There is no environmental noise that I can hear, and the music is luscious.

    in reply to: Buying Pieces or Books #109127
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As I have said before “A fool and her money…..”. I have bought REAMS of music since I began learning the harp.

    I buy collections AND individual pieces. I think I lean towards collections because as I learn the pieces I can see the process of my growth as a player.

    My price limit depends on how much I love the piece and how close I am to being able to play it.

    in reply to: Magic moment with 4yr old #160076
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I can see this on a greeting card. The shot and the subject are perfect. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 747 total)