harpcolumn

Pratt Lever Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Pratt Lever Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    brook-boddie
    Participant

Diana,

I checked the Pratt website but couldn’t find the weight of the Chamber harps.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I posted a rather unclear response here- The Princess model is pictured on the Summerhays website, along with some other beautiful Pratt harps. It doesn’t say whether they’re ready to ship or not.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My mom has owned

HBrock25
    Participant

Delurking just to say that I am in love with my Pratt Chamber Harp. I discovered it at Harps Etc in Walnut Creek, CA, and the sound knocked me off my feet.

It’s completely different than the “harp experience” I thought I wanted (smaller, lighter tension, etc), but the sound just could not be gainsaid.

I just finished moving to a 3rd floor apt today and can tell you something about how much the Chamber Harp weighs… :-D It’s not an instrument I would take out busking! It fits in my elderly 4-door sedan…barely (I had to push back the front passenger seat and slide it in diagonally). I think it weighs about 50 lbs. I can lift it and carry it across the room, but I would not like to muscle Pratty around too much without a spotter. Pedal harpists may not be fazed by the weight, but it’s been an adjustment for this self-taught folk harp player.

Mine is a basic (but lovely) walnut, but has a figured maple on the soundboard, pretty luscious! I adore this harp. I have great respect for John Pratt and think he has something special going on as a harpmaker.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Briggs,

Just saw a ridiculously expensive lever harp–$11,500.

Maria,

To me that is an insane price for a lever harp, but that’s based on my personal economic situation. Like you, I would be looking for a smallish pedal harp. Not everyone wants a pedal harp, and some people are really into the fancy aspect of a harp — it’s looks and all. Personally, I like “plain ole plain ole.” To me a beautiful harp is a blond Atlantide with no soundboard decal. Sleek and pretty, but some like all the inlay and “gee gaws” I guess. No way I would pay $11,500 for a lever harp, though. Yikes!

Briggs

Maria Myers
    Participant

Briggs,

Even if I were rich, I wouldn’t buy that Thormahlen harp for that price!

Janice Hunter
    Participant

I think that the Thormahlen harp is on sale and includes free shipping, but it is a lot of money even so.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Janice,

It’s on sale, but for $9,995 (might as well just say $10,000).

Janice Hunter
    Participant

Hi Maria,

I agree that $10,000 is a whole lot of money!

Where did you see the online ad for the Triplett?

brook-boddie
    Participant

Janice,

The Pratt harp that I discussed above is made of bubinga, and the tone is absolutely incredible.

Sound was first, and I didn’t care what it looked like. The thing is, when I bought my Camac I was a rank beginner who didn’t know squat. I was very lucky I bought it from the Virginia Harp Center. They aim to please, and they did. After playing lots of different harps, and really knowing what I love now, I’m still glad I have it. I did the right thing. I love my harp.

Briggs

Maria Myers
    Participant

After playing lots of different harps, and really knowing what I love now, I’m still glad I have it. I did the right thing.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Janice,

I can’t find the ad for the Triplett.

Thank you so much Maria. That was very nice to say. I needed that today, too…….suffering from one more of the zillion viruses that spread through public school music rooms. I’m home today trying to recuperate.

Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies