harpcolumn

Buying Pieces or Books

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Buying Pieces or Books

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Do you have strong preferences for buying single sheets of music or collections of pieces? What is the price range you consider reasonable for each?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

As I have said before “A fool and her money…..”. I have bought REAMS of music since I began learning the harp.

I buy collections AND individual pieces. I think I lean towards collections because as I learn the pieces I can see the process of my growth as a player.

My price limit depends on how much I love the piece and how close I am to being able to play it.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

For myself I buy whatever I need whether it’s a piece in a collection or a single piece. For students it’s another thing entirely. Some of my students have parents who will buy a book as soon as I tell them to get it. A lot of them though are rather hard pressed and expect that whatever book they get should be enough for a long time. So for most of my students I like individual pieces because then I can give the parents a list of things to purchase once or twice a year and the pieces don’t cost as much as the book so I can probably write down one book of pieces plus a few separate solos whereas I know the parents will only show up with some of the things I’ve asked having been purchased if I write down several books because of cost. Therefore it’s helpful if I can get solos separately because otherwise these students won’t be playing those solos.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.