column

Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    janelle-lake
    Participant

Am I a bad teacher if I hate Schubert’s “Happy Farmer” in Suzuki book II?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Oh-oh….. I’m an adult student just finishing bk.2 and I (sorry) absolutely LOVE this piece. I learned it about a year ago and was bursting my buttons with pride when I mastered it.

Can’t say I had considered it as wedding piece (unless the groom was a happy farmer) but I bet you could do a theme and variations at other social occasions, especially those at which spirits were included in the refreshments, and get some mileage out of it.

On a more serious note, I really do like the left hand melody, and I think it has some value for the lever switches.

Hope this helps!

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

There are bound to be pieces you like more than others, but you include them in order to present the

janelle-lake
    Participant

Thank you for your posts!

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Well, when did this piece become the Happy Farmer and not the Merry Peasant?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I enjoyed your post, Georgina, because I have suffered the same fate with all of the pieces you mentioned.

I still haven’t gotten the Salzedo where I want it but I keep telling myself that WHEN I play the 8 Dances (NOT IF), the section from the S2 will just be that much easier.

Also love Xmas Day!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.