sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sighting on Project Runway #108895
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I thought you looked smashing!

    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My problem with Eddley’s book is that it goes into jazz chords pretty early in the game. Since theory and harmony are the bane of my musical existence, I needed something very fundamental.

    I don’t know the “Idiot’s” or “Dummies” theory books, but some of the other students in my basic Theory college level course liked it quite a lot.

    in reply to: Micheline Kahn #151260
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My son is a graphic artist and he’s going to try to PhotoShop it for me. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again……SRL

    in reply to: Micheline Kahn #151258
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Alison- Is she the lady in the picture hat? What a beautiful picture! I had tried some of the French websites but my French isn’t nearly good enough to follow the links.

    I certainly do appreciate your detective work. I had just about given up and now maybe I will be able to get the picture somehow.

    THANK YOU so much! Sherry L

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75376
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As to color, in a very general way cherry tends somewhat more to a rosy or reddish cast and walnut sometimes tends to a more yellowish cast.

    Both are beautiful woods.

    My cherry Nightingale has also darkened, and is also very beautiful wood.

    I am an old, old musician and a new harpist. My Thormalen Serenade has Camacs and my nightingale has Truitts. I take lessons on Prelude that has Performance levers.

    For myself, I find Truitts slightly harder to use than Camacs, although I am no fast flipper with either, because it is very tough for me to look at music, strings, levers and back to music and strings. That problem has to do with my age and vision.

    I have heard comments here about Camacs being broken, especially on smaller harps. My Thormahlen has taken its share of bumps and nothing (so far) has ever happened to a lever.

    I am no harp expert, nor do I play one on TV.

    in reply to: Micheline Kahn #151255
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I am looking for her picture because my teacher studied with her. I try to come up with a meaningful Christmas present for her, and last year, when I gave her a picture of Jamet (courtesy of Carl Swanson and many thanks from me) she said that all she wanted THIS Christmas was a portrait of Micheline Kahn.

    I have found the web site devoted to the work of JM Damase, but I haven’t emailed the site yet. Guess I’d better get to work. It does seem that there are very, very few photos of her.

    The comment about her harps is most interesting to me.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75360
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    They are pictured at Lewis Creek harps.com

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #84270
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As a deadly serious adult student, I cast my vote for Grossi. I have played everything in Grossi/Pozzoli once through, and now I continue to play the exercises for better tempo.

    I now do Bochsa, also great for technique.

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #84983
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As a deadly serious adult student, I cast my vote for Grossi. I have played everything in Grossi/Pozzoli once through, and now I continue to play the exercises for better tempo.

    I now do Bochsa, also great for technique.

    in reply to: Best Teaching Method for Adults – Harp Olympics? #85493
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As a deadly serious adult student, I cast my vote for Grossi. I have played everything in Grossi/Pozzoli once through, and now I continue to play the exercises for better tempo.

    I now do Bochsa, also great for technique.

    in reply to: First harp advise please! #75346
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’ve never played a Christina, and they look very nice. I do have a Nightingale, in cherry, and it has the most lovely sound.

    I believe I could safely say that the cherry Nightingale does have the sound you’re looking for. It’s also very nice looking.

    I had the opportunity to speak to Jeff Lewis after I bought my second hand Nightingale, and he did say that the Camac levers add weight. They are larger than Truitts.

    Good luck with your choice, and enjoy the journey!

    in reply to: suggestions for middle school orchestra #83631
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I just googled “Sandra Dackow harp” and she does write optional harp parts for her orchestral arrangements. Give them a look!

    in reply to: suggestions for middle school orchestra #83630
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Check into Sandra Dackow’s arrangements. She does absolutely top notch arrangements of orchestral standards, and you will not believe how good her work sounds.

    I’m not sure if she writes for harp, but I bet if she were aware that people are looking for harp parts, she’d write them, and darn good ones too.

    Her things are absolutely great for teaching music history and music appreciation as well as orchestral techniques.

    in reply to: Blue harp in orchestra? #151242
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Do the Blue series harps sound/function exactly as an acoustic only harp? I know they can be used as acoustic harps but I somehow thought that they sounded like an acoustic/electronic.

    I’ve never heard one either way.

    ?

    in reply to: Suzuki’s Happy Farmer? Trouble. #84316
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I enjoyed your post, Georgina, because I have suffered the same fate with all of the pieces you mentioned.

    I still haven’t gotten the Salzedo where I want it but I keep telling myself that WHEN I play the 8 Dances (NOT IF), the section from the S2 will just be that much easier.

    Also love Xmas Day!

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 747 total)