column

Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.”

Home Forums Coffee Break Some health tips for us maturing “harpists.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Judith Helms
    Participant

I don’t know about you, but

carl-swanson
    Participant

Judith- You’ve inspired me to get back to the gym. I get lazy about that and suddenly months have gone by and I haven’t exercised at all(but have still paid the monthly dues!).

I’m slightly younger than you, but I’m feeling the age issue, mostly because 1)I need to exercise and 2) I need to loose 20 pounds. Thank God I don’t have any joint issues. But I know I need to exercise. Thanks for the reminder.

p.s.- My 88 year old aunt made a statement similar to yours recently. She said,” Getting old sucks!”

alice-freeman
    Spectator

Getting old may “suck,” but consider the alternative!

— Alice from windy Wyoming

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I turned 48 today, and I went to the gym to celebrate!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I feel about ten years younger than I did before I discovered the harp. I find that all of my efforts to improve my health contribute in some way to better playing, raise my spirits (and endorphins), and make me want to play more.

I’m presently enrolled in Music Theory Level IV at my local community college, which sits atop a hill. thus making me walk every day. What serendipity- I can’t get to my wonderful class unless I hike up the hill.

I think getting old WAS the pits, but now I’m not getting old. I’m in a holding pattern and determined to stay in it as far into the future as my presbyopia will permit me to see. Thanks for the perspective Judy.

Sylvia
    Participant

I agree with Alice.

Listen to this! My mother was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and placed on a strict gluten-free diet. I figured my number was up next with genetics being what it is, so I’ve cut phenomenally down on any wheat products and switched to pearled barley as a food staple. I also switched to 1% milk. Not changing anything else (I do try to run about 3- 5 miles a couple times a week) in about a month I’ve lost 10 pounds! But one of the weirdest side effects is my knees and hands stopped feeling achy. Cooking pearled barley is easy- 1 cup barley to 3 cups water (don’t get the hulled barley- I bruised my entire jaw-yes, it’s possible), let it boil for about 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit for an hour. It’s delicious and tastes like rice. Give it a try!

I forgot to agree with Sylvia. My grandmother is 94 and works like crazy. At 88 she was hanging sheet rock and plastering walls renovating a house!

Denise Lockamy
    Participant

Great thread! I’m in physical therapy now, recovering from a knee and hip injury (fell rescuing a cat!) and do not want further joint problems. I also agree with Sylvia: when my sister complained about her joints, my 92 year old mother told her she needed to get up and move around more, that she was getting lazy.

diana-day
    Participant

Todd, if you are concerned about Celiac disease, please go to http://www.celiac.org. You’ll see that gluten, which causes celiac disease, is found in all forms of wheat plus rye, barley and triticale.

Diana, thanks for the advice!

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

This makes a lot of sense to me.

diana-day
    Participant

You’re welcome, Todd!

rod-c
    Participant

Great thread. I prefer aging to “doesn’t he look natural?”

Rod C.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

I think just doctor can give you the proper answer regarding your problem. so go ahead and get your problem solved online.

Pediatric Dentist Houston

Cellulite Reduction Houston

Botox Houston

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.