harpcolumn

Music Therapists

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Music Therapists

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Smith
    Participant

Hi! I’m just curious to know if there are any professional music therapists out there. At 45, I’m looking to reinvent myself and am considering doing a program in music therapy. I’d be curious to know if there are jobs out there, what settings people are working in and how the harp fits into the work of music therapy. I’d appreciate any thoughts people could give me.

Many thanks!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

The job market in the NE US is very positive. Montclair State U. places all of their graduates who wish to work as music therapists.

The instruments that are required for certification training are piano and/or guitar, but it seems as though many of the music therapists who play the harp use harps in therapy.

It is a fascinating field, and I doubt it would ever be boring, either during training or in practice.

Jeffrey Smith
    Participant

Thanks, Sherry. I live in NYC so your input is much appreciated.

There is a program at Molloy College on Long Island that I heard about. Do you know anything about it?

I don’t know about Molloy but I think you need a masters in your state to practice.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Jennifer- I don’t know about NYS, but in NJ there is presently a post graduate certificate program for a year or so of instruction and a practicum, after which you are permitted to take the licensing exam.

The graduate degree is definitely preferred, but in my own personal situation, the post grad sequence would work because of my other degrees.

Jeffrey, take a look at “music therapy” through the John Cali School of Music, at Montclair. Naturally MSU uses a large number of NYC resources for their music therapy degrees. Montclair presently offers undergrad, graduate, and certification degrees in music therapy, and the program is highly regarded. 🙂

Also, look up the name Tomaino for a truly inspiring look at what can be done in a top-notch music therapy hospital based program.

Jeffrey, contact Melinda Gardiner, RN, CMP, Executive Director of the Music for Healing and Transition Program, Inc. This office is in Hillsdale NY, and telephone is 518 325 5546. Fax is 518 325 3089. On the internet you can reach her at mhtp@mhtp.org, and the web site is http://www.mhtp.org.

This lady is ever so helpful, and also on that website you can register to receive free newsletters which contain many comments from people now working

Music Therapy and harp and healthcare programs are two entirely different things.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies