harpcolumn

Harp Dog

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    paul-wren
    Participant

To add to my post, One of my four dogs, Max, is an English Springer Span,

amy-walts
    Participant

About ten years ago, my husband and I added a badly abused shepherd mix to our assortment of cocker spaniels. Hoover (named after our vacuum cleaner and her uncanny ability to suck just about any foodstuff off a carpet) was desperately frightened of people, but LOVED harp music. In fact, it was the only thing that would bring her out of hiding for a long time. The first time we boarded her to go on vacation, the kennel called us to say that Hoover had been crying for two days straight and was inconsolable. I told them to go to the local music store and buy a harp CD to play for her. Sure enough, she settled right down. So did all the other dogs, I’m told, so the kennel now has several they keep in heavy rotation, LOL! Hoover insists on sleeping in the harp room at night, sprawled out in such a way as to touch as many of them with her body as she can. Rearranging the harps or keeping one out overnight means she doesn’t sleep well. Happily, she has overcome her fear of people entirely, and now occasionally *leans* on the harps as I play, audibly grunting with pleasure at the noise and vibrations. One of my spaniels, Basil, gets SO excited when I tune bass notes! He comes running from wherever he is, wagging his whole body ecstatically. Only the bass notes, though. He’s a Bass Man Only, I guess.

hitomi-momose
    Participant

Hello Dog lovers,

Yes, my dog Lucky lay down as I play the harp.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

On the down side, my current cat is also extremely fond of harp
    brushes.

unknown-user
    Participant

Both of my dogs and my 2 cats like to come and in and listen while I’m playing.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have two cats. One is indifferent to the harp, but the other one, who used to be shy, comes out and lies at my feet whenever I practice. When my harp buddies come over to play, he even comes out to visit then — something he never used to do when there were strangers in the house.

But the real story here is the assist dog that a violist in our community orchestra has. I play oboe there, and he is right in front of me. He is usually pretty calm and quiet, but this past fall, when the solo clarinet came in two bars late in Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, he sat straight up, put the clearinettist right in his sight, and glared at him until the next entrance. True story.

Connie Browning
    Participant

We had an Old English Sheepdog who would lay quietly when I played my harp. However, my husband plays trumpet and she would insist on staying in the music room when he played and there was a certain note that she would join in with him. Currently, my boxer loves to get as close as possible when I play – on piano, he tries to lay on my feet making use of the pedals difficult. I just got a pedal harp in May and he has tried to lay on my feet when I sit to play it.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Shannon,

that dog sounds more on top

unknown-user
    Participant

The violist has seizures. Maybe epilepsy?

The conductor glared at the clarinnetist too, but I don’t think that the clarinettist was watching her. :-(

unknown-user
    Participant

Last summer we found a tiny kitty abandoned by his wild momma in our backyard.

kay-lister

Just an update on my harp dog. She started off with her head on the sound board.

Jessica Frost
    Participant

I have a four year old rescued sheltie (Merlin) who is a harp lover!

kay-lister

Sorry

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

We are about to add a new dog friend to our family.

paul-wren
    Participant

Amy, I took your suggestion to a friend of mine who runs a kennel, mostly Terriers! I sent her a CD and she called me last Sunday to tell how amazing it was! She said she had to check on the dogs several times during the day to make sure they were ok! They were so quiet and relaxed! She said that listening to the harp music has inspired her to start oil painting again as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies