harpcolumn

What I hate about being a harpist

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break What I hate about being a harpist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

I hate not being able to open packages because I have no fingernails, and have to eat plastic all the time trying to bite them open.

tony-morosco
    Participant

That is funny. I have thought the exact same thing on more than one occasion.

unknown-user
    Participant

I hate paying so much for strings!

unknown-user
    Participant

I hate it when people seem to enjoy going round my fingers and checking out every deformity plucking has caused to the tips of the fingers.

Ye and i hate the nails thing too.

I hate the monthly payment on my harp for the next 5 years.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

And what about not getting a good scratch going when you’ve got an itch?

paul-wren
    Participant

I’m with you, trying to open a can of soda! Ugh! I hate that. And the price for everything has just gone thru the roof! Strings included! We are harpists, not millionaires!

Victor Ortega
    Participant

I leave my pinky nails a little bit long so I can pick up paperclips and the such.

Ah, I

tony-morosco
    Participant

That’s one of the benefits of not having a pedal harp at the moment. I can get both of my lever harps, an amp, and my full gig bag in to my MINI with no problem.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

The fingernail issue has never been a problem for me.

I hate having to schlep my entire living room with me for a gig.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I hate the fact that I have to have somebody help me move my Salzedo into my truck and take it out upon reaching my destination.

Kari T
    Participant

I totally agree with you, Saul , about the no fingernails and trying to open packages especially new cds. The other problem is keeping my fingernails short enough to play. I have only been playing for about 9 months now but my fingernails just aren’t adapting to being kept so short. I can’t clip them anymore because when I do I cut that sensitive skin under the nail and does it ever hurt. I am now reduced to filing the heck out of them and callousing my fingertips more from the file than my harp strings. My husband’s nails seem to stay short with no clipping or filing has this happened to anyone else and if so do you have any tips on how to keep them from growing so fast?

Kari

Well, gee, people usually want their nails to grow and take supplements to help it, so I guess a poor diet would slow them down. Or use clippers instead of a file. I like to bite my nails.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics