harpcolumn

Playing the Harp in Movies

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Playing the Harp in Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

LOL!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anita Louise did indeed play the harp.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I just spent about 20 minutes with google and can’t find any reference other than “two children” of

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Sam,

BTW, thank you for your brilliant article in the last AHS Journal.

“The Other Sister” has a wedding harpist

Serendipidy has a wedding harpist

Annie – Grace plays the harp (on the wrong side) during “We’ve Got Annie”

There also is a Shirly Temple movie, when she was a young adult where the love interest’s girl friend is a harpist and performs for a garden full of listeners

The Kay Kendall/ Yul Brenner movie – “One More Time with Feeling” is a hoot!

unknown-user
    Participant

Does anyone know where Harpo’s harp is now? In a museum or something?

–Tom
    http://GigSpeak.com

john-strand
    Participant

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8158827649224001062&q=female+harpist&total=39&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

here is a clip from Our Man Flint – the bad lady takes the place of the harpist in mid song, and uses a string a la Harpo to shoot a poisoned needle at someone!!!! Oh, well, it is in color and the first harpist looks like she is actually playing – maybe some of you will recognize her – looks a bit like Gayle Levant to me – – –

David Ice
    Participant

Thanks John!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

That’s funny, David. I looked at it and thought, “Oh yes, I’ve seen that before–it must have been in one David Ice’s presentations. ” 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you David, for your very kind words about the AHJ article.

john-strand
    Participant

How about Music For Millions – 1944?

paul-wren
    Participant

Isn’t there a scene in The Human Comedy where Fay Bainter plays a harp in her home?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, it’s such a hoot. A humble little working class cottage and a big fancy style 11 (I think–something shiny, anyway). She’s always talking to the kids through the strings and there’s a voiceover i one scene about thanking God for various things, including “the harp in the parlor.”

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I don’t remember now where I read this, but I believe his widow Susan donated two of his harps to a conservatory in Israel. Of course he probably had many other instruments over the course of his career.

Kathleen Clark
    Participant

Hey, David,

I just saw Paul Baker playing harp live, Godefroid’s “Romance Without Words (Bois Solitaire)” in the 1990 movie “Framed” starring Jeff Goldblum and Kristin Scott Thomas. He’s playing at an outdoor engagement party and there are a couple of closeups of him while he is playing it which is really cool. On the DVD it is in Chapter 7, “Wealth.” It’s sort of funny how they lead up to it. Jeff and his sidekick are crashing the party through bushes and the sidekick is ranting on about “…not to harp on this…” and then they hear the harp through the bushes… “Hey, do you hear a HARP?”

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.