laura-palmieri

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Teacher in NC #83274
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I heard Jaquelyn Bartlett is a fantastic teacher of the salzedo method. Im not sure what area she lives in though.

    in reply to: Harp in College #165998
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    In two weeks I will be graduating with my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music. I had an Excellent, Top-Notch harp teacher, a very supportive music department, endless musical opportunities and orchestral experience and during that time I also worked on my pre-requistes in nursing. Now in the fall I can start into the nursing program. I started off double majoring in nursing but that became way too difficult for me because of a ton of time spent with practicing and rehearsals so I just decided to finish my music degree and finish my pre-requisetes in nursing. I am very happy I chose to get a Bachelors degree in Music because I did what I love and can now someday get my masters if I chose to do so. But for now, I can focus on nursing in happiness knowing that I had an unforgettable learning experience in music and will always cherish it. If you chose a science related degree to pursue, I know people who have worked on pre-med,pre-dentistry etc. while they pursued their degree in music. It’s not impossible. Take your time, take summer classes, chose professors wisely, always develop good relationships with your advisors and departments. Don’t always rule out small universities just because they don’t have all the popularity as bigger universities. You can still get a great education there. In my experience, by attending a smaller school I got a music scholarship and financial aid which paid for my entire undergrad music education plus pre-nursing debt-free. Music is an intense, time-consumeing major to pursue and it’s important to take is seriously. So if you don’t know if you can do both then either try a semester of both science and music classes combined or save your science classes for the summer like I did and just stick to music for the fall and winter. I wish you all the best!

    Laura

    in reply to: Tuning etiquette #106413
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I’ve wondered the same thing when I play in concert band too.I don’t think my group really cares but I always feel odd just sitting there while everyone is tuning. Sometimes I do pull the harp back and check the strings just for myself but I always feel kind of funny because you can’t really tune anything at that point.

    in reply to: Study Harp Abroad Summer Programs #106626
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Thats a great idea! I would love to find out more information about that too.

    in reply to: Happy New Year!! #106974
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Happy New Year Karen! Wish the same for you! 🙂

    in reply to: Merry Christmas #148810
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    in reply to: Changing technique #83775
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I understand what your saying Misty. I actually was in a similar situation to you Natty. In my case I looked more into the scholarship money that I was getting instead of the technique and sometimes I wished I would not have done that. There are things that I learned and benefited from but at the back of my mind I always felt that I would have gone further if I stuck to the technique I originally was taught before I went to University. But everyone is different.. You can try it out for a semester or year and if you feel things are not going right leave and go to another school that teaches the Salzedo technique. It’s not worth staying for 4 years and looking back with certain regrets. You can always find teachers who have a French technique background and teach in Masterclasses or privately to give you pointers here and there.

    in reply to: Changing technique #84488
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I understand what your saying Misty. I actually was in a similar situation to you Natty. In my case I looked more into the scholarship money that I was getting instead of the technique and sometimes I wished I would not have done that. There are things that I learned and benefited from but at the back of my mind I always felt that I would have gone further if I stuck to the technique I originally was taught before I went to University. But everyone is different.. You can try it out for a semester or year and if you feel things are not going right leave and go to another school that teaches the Salzedo technique. It’s not worth staying for 4 years and looking back with certain regrets. You can always find teachers who have a French technique background and teach in Masterclasses or privately to give you pointers here and there.

    in reply to: Changing technique #84998
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I understand what your saying Misty. I actually was in a similar situation to you Natty. In my case I looked more into the scholarship money that I was getting instead of the technique and sometimes I wished I would not have done that. There are things that I learned and benefited from but at the back of my mind I always felt that I would have gone further if I stuck to the technique I originally was taught before I went to University. But everyone is different.. You can try it out for a semester or year and if you feel things are not going right leave and go to another school that teaches the Salzedo technique. It’s not worth staying for 4 years and looking back with certain regrets. You can always find teachers who have a French technique background and teach in Masterclasses or privately to give you pointers here and there.

    in reply to: Where Have You Played Your Harp? #107646
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I play at Acathz Pie Shop in Michigan. I know the owners so I can play at their locations anytime I want. Harp Heaven and pies! :-)

    in reply to: Time for a harpmobile! #107860
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I’m not sure if you want foreign or American but I have been looking at Kia’s minivan’s and SUV’s. They are cheaper and they have a good warranty if that’s a factor. Or my harp teacher loves her new Ford Taurus X model and it fits the harp nicely.

    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Hi Lydia,

    Did you buy your harp car? I am still in the process of looking for my harp car and just came across the Kia Sorento. It fits my concert grand perfectly and you can get a new one for a good price. But I don’t know too much about them so I can’t really recommend them. Maybe someone here owns a Kia Harp Car that has worked for them??( I didn’t want to start a new post about Kia cars, so I decided to continue on this one) I love all the Honda models though like the pilot and highlander but they are so expensive even used. Just thought I’d ask! Hope you found a good one that your happy with!

    Laura

    in reply to: Has anyone ever heard of Hummingbird Harps? #148984
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Hi Shahin,

    Thanks but I am not looking to buy one I just wanted to see if my little harp
    I sold was a Hummingbird Harp. I had a 29 string harp that I bought a while ago
    and it never had any labels inside of it. It was a nice little harp.

    Laura

    in reply to: London Documentary Film #149814
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    This is just terrible! Can this really be true? The Cass Tech Orchestra Program has been a great help to students who thought they would never even touch an instrument let alone play it and some of them went on to make it their career. The Cass Harp program has helped so many amazing harpists get a head start in their playing. Two of my best harp teachers were harp directors there and recently my former harp teacher Lydia Cleaver took over the harp director position. I still can’t believe they are letting this go. I so hate Detroit especially more for doing this. This makes me very upset! I’m moving out of this crazy city!

    in reply to: Summer courses in Nice #83900
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Wow, that sounds like a wonderful program! Will they be offering the same teachers next year? I wish they would because I would definitely consider going next year.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)