harpcolumn

Teacher in NC

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Teacher in NC

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Laura Wilson
    Participant

Hello! I am a pedal harpist in need of a teacher. Does anyone have any recommendations for a harp teacher in NC? I am located in central NC and would like to find a teacher that plays and teaches in the Salzedo technique.

Thanks,

Laura Wilson

Susan Abken
    Participant

Dear Laura,

Call (704) 542-2728 to discuss this matter. I have a recommendation, and have seen the lady’s students perform and am impressed.

Sincerely yours,

Susan Abken

Charlotte, NC

HBrock25
    Keymaster

I am a teacher in the Charlotte area. Please give me call if you would like to discus lessons.

Nicole McAllister

980-395-9664

http://www.nlmharp.com

Laura Wilson
    Participant

Thank you, but I am located in Dunn (between Raleigh and Fayetteville), so I am looking for something closer. Thanks though.

Susan Abken
    Participant

Hello, again!

It might be wise to contact Laura Byrne over in the Research Triangle and discuss your needs with her.

Best wishes,

Susan Abken

laura-palmieri
    Participant

I heard Jaquelyn Bartlett is a fantastic teacher of the salzedo method. Im not sure what area she lives in though.

Susan Abken
    Participant

Greetings, all!

I was also going to suggest Jackie Bartlett on the phone, if the inquirer had picked up the phone and called. I got a chance, several years ago, to listen to and observe the students of multiple teachers in the Charlotte area performing, and was impressed by those of Ms. Bartlett.

What I suggest music-loving families should do, if they are in a remote place with no harp teacher, is to find a safe place, a classroom in a church or community center, drum up the other families with harps, perhaps getting the word out through church music directors and school teachers, and the local paper, and then invite a good harp teacher to travel there one day a week and teach for several hours. Perhaps the church or community center could offer the annual recital of the teachers’ students as a public event, and the cultural arts could be strengthened in smaller places in the USA.

In these times we need more serious study of music, which develops the aesthetic sense and is a skill for life, and less involvement with hand-held no-think gadgets among our young people. If our far-flung places had itinerate teachers of violin, harp, banjo, classical guitar, trumpet, how much different our musical future as a country could be…

The Salzedo method leads to a strong tone that will carry over and through an orchestra without amplification, which can distort the sound. It is not the only school of harp playing in the USA, but one that is definitely worthy of respect.

Laura Wilson
    Participant

Thank you Susan, Nicole, and Laura for your replies. It is unfortunate that Charlotte is so far away; it sounds like Ms. Bartlett is a great teacher!

Hopefully I will be able to get in touch with Laura Byrne for her advice. Again, I appreciate the responses.

Sincerely,

Laura Wilson

Hi Laura,

Contact me by email laurasbyrneharpist@yahoo.com, I’d be delighted to talk with you about harp lessons. The Salzedo method is my specialty!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Laura Byrne

unknown-user
    Participant

Jaquelyn Bartlett is in the Blowing Rock/Boone area of NC.
    More about her:

Actually Jaquelyn now lives in Durham and teaches there as well. She and Laura

Byrne are active in the Raleigh/Durham area and both are well-respected.

I don’t know if she teaches, but Winifred Garrett is a fine Salzedo-trained harpist in that area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.