harpcolumn

Harp in College

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Harp in College

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Kelly
    Participant

I have recently begun my college search more seriously (I’ll be a senior in the fall) and am quickly realizing that it is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be! I have played pedal harp for several years and would love to continue doing so in college. However, I am unsure of my career goals at the present time, so I would like to keep my options open in undergrad. Ideally, I would love to add harp as a second major, but I am wondering how feasible that might be. (I know that music majors require extra time for practice, rehearsals, etc.) I am also interested in the possibility of minoring in music, but I didn’t know what the disadvantages of this might be if I decided that I did want to pursue harp as a career in the future.

If anyone has any thoughts on these things or any other tips to share, they would be much appreciated! 🙂

Thanks

Elizabeth

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I just finished up this process and will be in college in the fall. I was in the same boat as you so made sure that every single school I applied to had a music minor. What level (in regards to academic studies) are you interested in? If you are looking at a similar intensity of college that I was, I can be some help. On the other hand, I also applied to schools with good science programs, but most of the schools I applied to had good programs in most fields.

~Sam

unknown-user
    Participant

Even if your interests don’t match up with mine (in which case my college list might not be so helpful) I’d recommend contacting all the harp teachers you can over the summer. It’s impreative that you make sure that they will teach you whether or not you major, minor, or do neither. That’s really the most important thing – a good music program is also wonderful (and will probably go hand in hand with a good harp teacher) but its the harp instructor that matters most, no?

~Sam

Elizabeth Kelly
    Participant

Hi Sam,

It sounds like we might be looking at similar types of schools. (I am hoping to major in a subject in the science field, so a strong science program is a must.) If you have the list, and would be willing to share it, you can email it to me at harpist293647@gmail.com.

Thanks for your help!

Elizabeth

laura-palmieri
    Participant

In two weeks I will be graduating with my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music. I had an Excellent, Top-Notch harp teacher, a very supportive music department, endless musical opportunities and orchestral experience and during that time I also worked on my pre-requistes in nursing. Now in the fall I can start into the nursing program. I started off double majoring in nursing but that became way too difficult for me because of a ton of time spent with practicing and rehearsals so I just decided to finish my music degree and finish my pre-requisetes in nursing. I am very happy I chose to get a Bachelors degree in Music because I did what I love and can now someday get my masters if I chose to do so. But for now, I can focus on nursing in happiness knowing that I had an unforgettable learning experience in music and will always cherish it. If you chose a science related degree to pursue, I know people who have worked on pre-med,pre-dentistry etc. while they pursued their degree in music. It’s not impossible. Take your time, take summer classes, chose professors wisely, always develop good relationships with your advisors and departments. Don’t always rule out small universities just because they don’t have all the popularity as bigger universities. You can still get a great education there. In my experience, by attending a smaller school I got a music scholarship and financial aid which paid for my entire undergrad music education plus pre-nursing debt-free. Music is an intense, time-consumeing major to pursue and it’s important to take is seriously. So if you don’t know if you can do both then either try a semester of both science and music classes combined or save your science classes for the summer like I did and just stick to music for the fall and winter. I wish you all the best!

Laura

m-l-mcneel
    Participant

Elizabeth,

Johns Hopkins University and Peabody Institute have a double degree program.

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Elizabeth, I am the midst of looking at colleges/conservatories with my son who is also in 11th grade and

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Elizabeth, If you do want to email

unknown-user
    Participant

Be wary of College Confidential. It’s full of false information, unjustified and unwarrented opinions, and internet trolls. In fact, I’d recommend staying away from it all together. If you’re looking for any factual information, it can be found elsewhere.

~Sam

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Sam, With great respect I diasagree with you about College Confiduential. I think with all sites-even this one-you need to take what you read as an opinion and then do your own research. And there any many different opinions such as one person’s feelings if the area surrounding school is safe.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a junior in highschool and I’m considering majoring or minoring in music. I’ve played the harp since I was 11. I’m sorry if my advice isn’t very good, I’m in the same boat as you, but I’d consider trying to meet with a harp teacher and ask them to evaluate your playing/music reading skills and see if you’d be ready for college level stuff. From what I’ve researched most college graduates have said that the Music Theory courses are the hardest part, but if you’re prepared for the work I’d say go for it. I’m still deciding what to do myself, I’ll wait till I’m closer to college days to choose! God Bless!

jordan-thomas
    Participant

Hello! I’m a harp major at Peabody, and we have a great double degree program! We even have a double degree student in our studio and she is enjoying it very much! Look into Peabody. Plus we are connected with one of the great university of the USA Johns Hopkins!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.