laura-palmieri

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Summer courses in Nice #84613
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Wow, that sounds like a wonderful program! Will they be offering the same teachers next year? I wish they would because I would definitely consider going next year.

    in reply to: Summer courses in Nice #85123
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Wow, that sounds like a wonderful program! Will they be offering the same teachers next year? I wish they would because I would definitely consider going next year.

    in reply to: University #166241
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I attend a small college in Michigan called Oakland University, where my teacher
    Kerstin Allvin teaches Grandjany-style technique. She studied with Susann Mcdonald and a few others in France. It’s a pretty good school academic wise also.

    in reply to: back ache! #149898
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I have been having lower back pain lately too, but for me I think it’s because my harp bench doesn’t have a back to it and I am suffering from a muscle sprain from work. When you sit for long periods of time, you are more likely to have a back ache. I get one too from practicing for hours or being at a gig too long. It’s good to get up and take some breaks here and there. My next harp purchase will be an Adjustrite Chair that has a back to it.

    in reply to: Which harp concerto to work on? #150023
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Thanks Saul! That is a very good list for me! I appreciate your help!

    in reply to: Which harp concerto to work on? #150022
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    That’s exactly what I was thinking Saul. I have been working on the Boieldieu already so I might as well stick to it. The only problem with the Boieldieu is that the first movement sounds kind of like the Dittersdorf with lots of right hand scales and runs. I only have to pick one movement which is kind of hard with the Boieldieu because the second and third are pretty connected. My teacher mentioned the Rodrigo I was also thinking the 1st movement of the Gliere. I have nothing to do but practice all summer so I wanted to make sure I pick a good concerto mvmt to work on.

    in reply to: Which harp concerto to work on? #150019
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I am competing in a concerto competition. I am a senior in music school right now and have worked on the Handel and Dittersdorf and Ravel’s Intro and Allegro.My senior recital will be in October. I would only need to perform one movement since they choose 4 contestants to play in the final concert. The only problem with the Mozart I was thinking is all the really good flute players have graduated already 🙁 I would have to talk to the flute instructor to see who she would suggest.

    in reply to: Are there any scholarships for harpists? #108155
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    That is such a good idea Misty! We have a Mansion on campus that sometimes hosts tea parties and fancy dining events. I should mention that to them and see what they say.

    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Hi Lydia,

    You and I have very similar situations and interests! I have been using my mom’s amazing Honda Odyssey for years and as 23 year old college student its time that I find a decent SUV/station wagon that I will be happy with for years to come.(Since I will be making the payments I really must LOVE the car,right?? :P) I hear that the Honda Element is a good option. But I am not really into the boxy look of it. My teacher loves her new Ford Taurus X station wagon and the Ford Freestyle I hear is good car too. Gas mileage is a biggy for me too since I travel everywhere with my harp! Sorry I am not much help to you but thanks for posting this!

    All the best,

    Laura Palmieri

    in reply to: Bellas lullaby – twilight #166459
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I just went to my music store and had to buy the Twilight piano book. It has Bella’s lullaby in it. It’s not too difficult but it’s a very different melody from Yirma’s (River Flows in You).

    in reply to: Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp #150092
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Lead Sheets and me are friends 🙂 If only people knew how many pedals we have to move to play some of these songs. Shesh 😛 Thanks Everyone for your help!

    in reply to: Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp #150089
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Wow, Barbara thats a good list. Did you arrange most of those? If I had the time I would, but I was hoping there would be some harp arrangements of those already. I’ve purchased a bunch of those songs through harp.com but I think I’ve gotten tired of playing them as well. I guess I’m gonna use the ones I have and slowly work on arranging piano versions for harp in the future. Wendy I talked to Kelly at the Michigan Harp Center today and she said she hasn’t finished printing the music yet. I’ll try Sharon Watson too. Thanks!

    in reply to: Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp #150086
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Thanks Wendy! Hey I was wondering if you are from Michigan around the Detroit area? I hear about different harpists playing around this area but I never catch their names. Have we met before? It’s always nice to find out who the fellow Michigan harpists are :-) I will check out the Michigan Harp Center this week and look through Kelly’s music. And thanks Tonya, I will check that arrangement of “Fly me to the Moon”.

    in reply to: Frank Sinatra or other Big Band Music for Harp #150080
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    Hi Karen:) Nice to hear from you!

    I have the songs “Misty,Embraceable You, It had to be you” . I have lots of Gershwin stuff too, but I think I might take a look at Ray Pool’s Fake Book. Tony, I was looking for a nice arrangement of “Fly me to the Moon” also. I also like the song “Come Fly with me” and “April in Paris” but I didn’t know if there was some arrangements of these already or some other favorites that I would be missing in my collection. I Love Stella Castelucci’s arrangements! I have some if not all of her solo sheet pop arrangements. Any other suggestions of good big band songs?

    in reply to: Camps or competitions for young lever harpers? #83974
    laura-palmieri
    Participant

    I have the same situation I’m dealing with. My student is also a wonderful student and she is very responsible but she isn’t into pedal harp just yet. I would love for her to go to a camp or a competition for lever harp that would give her a good learning experience and that would be fun to meet other lever harpists. We are located in Michigan.

    Thanks!

    Laura P.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)